SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lsoh_ohzone5

Location of foot rest in handicap shower?

lsoh
13 years ago

We are building a new bathroom to accomodate my dad who is severally handicapped. We've spoken with his therapist. She had some great suggestions, not only for him, but also for the safety of other bathers and for caregivers. The shower is the main motivation for the new bathroom. For several reasons, his therapist prefers the 3'x3' showers. Although she would actally prefer something a little wider and a little shallower. So we are considering a marble shower with interior dimentions of 38" wide x 34" deep. His therapist recommended a foot rest for the safety of other bathers. The purpose of the foot rest is to keep a bather who is seated on a wall mounted bench from tumbling forward as they reach down to wash their feet or shave their legs. I know I've seen a picture of a shower with a protruding foot rest running from the far wall maybe half way to the front. Can anyone recommend appropriate dimmensions for such a foot rest? How high should the foot rest be? How deep front to back should the foot rest be? Given that we expect the foot rest to run from the back wall toward the front, how wide should the foot rest be?

Thanks

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz