SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dapitou

Round-bottom wok on flat induction cooktop

dapitou
13 years ago

Ever since when I got my induction cooktop 6 months ago, IÂve been trying to learn how to do wok cooking on it. There wasnÂt much success and naturally, I blamed it on the wok. So a quest for a suitable wok begins. Yesterday I found it and would like to share my experience with you.

First, my equipments. I have two 15"-wide cooktops. One has a single gas burner rated at 18K BTU. The other is a flat induction with 2 elements. The bigger one is 8.5" in dia. and rated at 1.8K or 3K with boost. Although I already have a gas burner for wokking, I want to develop potentials for my supposedly more powerful induction unit.

Before talking about my woks, I should explain what my WBT (water boiling teat) is. ItÂs how long it takes to bring 2 cups of water to boiling without a lid. I donÂt have a thermometer so I just judge the water movement with my naked eyes. IÂm sorry.

My woks.

Wok A is 16", round bottom, made of carbon steel. It only works on my gas stove and is my workhorse for my daily cooking. My quest is to find a wok working on induction in a similar way like this one on gas. Its WBT comes out at 5:08 (5 minutes and 8 seconds.)

Wok B is 13", flat-bottom with a 7" base, made of unknown material. I bought it in Chinatown for $8. This wok sticks big time and I already get rid of it. ItÂs in this report for comparison reason as it has a relatively large base. The WBT comes out at 2:28.

Wok C is a 14" Le Creuset wok made of cast iron. The interior is round but exteriorly it has a 5.5" (in dia) flat base. Sounds like ideal for induction wokking but I just couldnÂt make it work. IÂm not sure why but my guess is that although the bottom of the wok gets very hot (which is only 5.5" in dia.), the side doesnÂt get warm enough. Maybe heating the empty wok longer would yield a better result but thatÂs not what the cooktop manufacture recommends.

Wok D is my new acquisition and itÂs what this mini report is really about. ItÂs made by Demeyere, 14.2"in dia., round-bottom with three "feet". Beside the feet, no part of the wok is in direct contact with the cooktop. The bottom of the wokÂI would say about 5.5" in dia., is close enough to the cooktop and only this part gets activated. To my very much surprise, it WBT records at 2:10Âeven faster than wok B. I can think of no explanation but the material conducts heat very well. This may also explain why I have no problem stir-frying in it. Although the side doesnÂt get activated, it gets warm enough just like my wok A on gas. Any drawback? It has two. 1. You still canÂt toss food in the air with it. 2. ItÂs pricy. I bought mine on eBay with a heavy discount. Even so, I still suspect that I was drunk that night.

Hope my thoughts help someone on the same quest.

Comments (3)