SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charlikin

Shades of white

charlikin
15 years ago

Keep going back and forth about what I want to do for my bathroom sink. One of the options I'm considering is a Porcher wall-mount sink ("Sapho"). It's gorgeous, and it satisfies all my functional requirements (space underneath for litterbox, counter space for toiletries).

HOWEVER - I think the white might not quite match the Toto "cotton white" of the toilet and tub that will be on either side of it. (It's a very small bathroom.) I brought my Toto color chip to Home Depot to compare to the Porcher sink, and the Porcher *seems* to be more like American Standard's creamier white (Porcher is an American Standard company) than Toto's bright cotton white. (Toto makes a white that's supposed to go better with American Standard, the cast iron tub I want only comes in cotton white.)

SO - does anyone have Toto and Porcher together? Are the whites really different? Is this something I would notice all the time in my bathroom, given that my fixtures will be in close proximity to each other? Or would it all blend in?

In the store, I thought maybe the Porcher sink would end up looking "dirty" next to the brighter whites of the tub & toilet, but maybe this is just my over-active (or is that "over-anxious") imagination?

Advice (and experience) please!

Here is a link that might be useful: Porcher Sapho sink

Comments (23)

• mercurygirl
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I just bought a Porcher sink and I think you will love it. There are many shades of white, but when put together, the eye just reads the white. Don't sweat the small stuff and no, it won't look dirty, IMO. If you have some color and interest elsewhere that's where the eye will go regardless. The white is like a palette.
    HTH

• digitoko
    15 years ago

Hope you can find your answer on my link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Luxury Whirlpool Bath

• charlikin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, mercurygirl - I'm sure you're right. Which Porcher sink did you buy?

One thing I'm considering: Toto makes two shades of white, cotton white which is a bright white, and colonial white which is creamier and might match the Porcher sink better. Unfortunately, the tub only comes in cotton white, but I could get the toilet in colonial white (I'd have to forgo the SanaGloss coating). That way the sink and toilet which are right next to each other would be closer in color, and the tub - well, it's next to the sink but it's lower down, it'll have a glass door attached to it, and there will be tons of pretty tile to look at instead :-).

(I wonder how many people buy Toto fixtures and don't get them in the same white?)

• charlikin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey bradleyj, can't get into your link - it's asking me to sign in!

• bradleyj
    15 years ago

try this

Here is a link that might be useful: white bath redeux

• bradleyj
    15 years ago

and if that won't work go to my posting on here entitled Pepto Bismal Palace

• marisany
    15 years ago

I am well qualified to answer your question! I ordered the Toto Promenade in cotton white, intending to buy a Kallista pedestal sink. But when I learned that the sink would cost over $800, instead of $500 (HomeAnnex deceptive site), I balked. I ordered the Porcher Pomezia instead. As I type, my bathroom is gutted and the plumbers are working on the pipes. My bathroom is also very small (8' x 5'), the toilet and sink will be next to one another on a 4.5' wall (6" jogin for waste pipe in corner), and I am a very compulsive person. My home office now has the Porcher pedestal lying on the floor, next to the Toto tank, tank lid, and the toilet. They are right next to one another, I'd decided that they would be fine, but I went down to look again for you. It's an overcast day. The whites change color depending on lighting conditions. I went in with my Toto color samples (Cotton White and Colonial White; they will send them quickly if you call) to decide whether Colonial White would have been better. The bottom line is that it would NOT.

The Porcher white is bluer than Cotton White, but they are close enough that you will not notice a difference. The Colonial White is worse with the Porcher white (to my surprise; I'd thought that Colonial White = AS white). As I look at all the pieces on my floor, the Toto tank, which is right next to the Porcher pedestal, looks more different than the Toto toilet than the Porcher pedestal! For a few minutes, I worried that I'd been sent a Cotton White toilet and a Colonial White tank! The tank lid looked different, too, until I moved it on top of the tank and the toilet - then they looked the same. I am talking about moving less than a foot. When I put the samples on top of the pieces, I could see that I did have Cotton White in everything.

I put the Toto samples on top of the Porcher pedestal; Cotton White is definitely better!

• charlikin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Got it (from the pepto thread) - thanks, bradleyj! Wow, your bathroom is beautiful - love that tile work. And very cool toilet. :-)

Marisany, you are rocking my world! Thank you! This is very good news. And that Pomezia is gorgeous - nice choice! Please post pix once it's all installed!

I emailed Toto, btw, and they're sending me out samples. Very responsive customer service. (Porcher never sent the sample I requested two weeks ago. They make pretty sinks, though.)

• marisany
    15 years ago

I'm so glad I could help! I do plan to post photos, already took the "before."

Porcher does make beautiful sinks, don't they? I love the one you chose.

My Toto samples came very fast.

• charlikin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Have to publish a retraction and an apology to Porcher - my sample chip came in today's mail!

It is creamier than Toto's cotton white. Have to wait for the colonial white chip to arrive and see what that looks like.

Though the interesting thing to me was taking the chips into the bathroom and discovering that my current toilet and sink aren't the same white and I'd never noticed before. Tells you something... LOL.

• mercurygirl
    15 years ago

Hi Char,

Sorry I didn't see your question before. I got the Lutezia sink from Porcher. I got lucky and found one brand new, still packaged on Craigslist. Somebody was going to do two baths and only did one. So I made a low offer and they took it-less than ebay and only an hour drive as opposed to 2-3 weeks to ship. The woman showed me it's twin in her remodeled bath and it looks great.

Now if my remodel could go a little faster, I'd get to use it!

GL

• charlikin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ooh, the Lutezia is nice. What brand toilet and tub do you have with it? How do the whites match up?

I took my Toto samples to Home Depot tonight to hold up against the Porcher Sapho on display. Hard to say which of the whites goes better, but it did look like either of them would be okay. The Porcher didn't seem that "off"... I'm wondering why it looked off in the other Home Depot. Might be the lighting - it was a little dim in the other store.

• mercurygirl
    15 years ago

Hey, just checking in again.

I'm keeping the existing tub and toilet. The tub is original and a nice one, toilet newer and average. They might not be as white and shiny as the sink, but like I said, whites all work together. I may consider having the tub refinished down the road.

I'll have a lot of white, for sure. Original hex tile is white, probably more matte and will have glossy white subways halfway up the walls, higher in shower area. There's so much that I think the eye will go to the shiny chrome bling on sink and shower and whatever color will be on the walls. Gotta find just the right light fixtures...I have a large old glass towel rod, too.

It really is taking too long, hope yours is going better.

• charlikin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Did someone say "taking too long?" LOL.

Decided to get the Porcher sink - now I just need my contractor to verify that the size works. (It's a little bigger than would have been ideal.)

Anyway, in terms of the white thing... it's all just impossible to match up anyway. I brought my Toto and Porcher samples to Home Depot again. The Porcher chip doesn't even match the Porcher sink!! The Toto colonial white would probably be okay, but tub doesn't come in it. I put the Toto cotton white on top of the sink and it was the wrong color. Then I realized my toilet does not sit on top of my sink, so I held the chip out to the side - with the light now hitting the chip and the sink differently, you really couldn't tell the difference. It'll be fine. :-)

Mercurygirl, I think all those shades of white will look lovely in your bathroom. With red towels. :-)

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

charlikin, we finally ordered some of our bathroom stuff (for just one of the baths, so don't be thinking I'm moving along too quickly!). Our bathroom will also be a small one, so there won't be an abundance of space between objects. We ordered a Toto Cotton White toilet, a Sonia white porcelain/fireclay sink top, a Kohler Archer acrylic shower pan, and will be ordering Daltile Modern Dimensions Arctic White tile for the shower walls (although I really love sch9171's travertine wall tiles!).

IMHO (or is it not-so-H-MO!), the whites should be fine together. They are all (as are your choices most likely) considered to be white-whites, so outside of different undertones, should still read as white. Now, if you were mixing an off-white with a "bright" white for example, then the difference would probably be noticeable, although not necessarily terrible, even more so if it looks like it was planned (e.g. a real mix of different shades of white throughout the room).

It's like the big question over in appliances and kitchens re: the different shades of SS, or different handle styles used by different appliance manufacturers. No they don't all "match" but when taken together as part of a whole, look perfectly ok to most people.

• charlikin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi cat_mom - wow, a total shades of white bathroom! It's going to be beautiful. Out of curiosity, are you going to use white towels with it, or introduce color via the accessories? And what are you planning to do with the other bathroom(s)?

I'm planning to do the travertine look (I want my own in-home spa!), though probably with ceramic tile rather than actual travertine. For a while I thought I'd have to go white towels with it, but then I spotted annkathryn's gorgeous multi-colored mosaic borders here, and now I want those borders with my tile so I can pick up various colors. (Can't let things be *too* neutral!)

Anyway, my contractor's coming tomorrow morning at 8am (gulp!) to tell me if the Porcher Sapho sink will fit. If it doesn't... oh, gosh, I have no idea what I'll do then. Fingers crossed...

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Well, the bathroom won't be total shades of white, but it will be very different than I'd originally envisioned!

We already have light walnut/noce travertine floor tiles for the room (purchased a few years ago when we got the same tiles for an entryway). Had planned on a dark (black or brown) wood vanity, and possibly a bone toilet--using a black, taupe and cream color scheme for the room.

Found a vanity that worked in our space (small, narrow), but it was pricey, so found someone to make one for a lot less. Liked the look of the white porcelain/fireclay sink top that the original vanity required (shallow sink, narrow F to B depth), and that started to drive some of the other choices--the white toilet, for example.

Chose dark espresso stained walnut for the vanity (John liked it better than the black), which introduced dark brown rather than black as one of the colors.

Then, the decision to go with the much cheaper than tile (to purchase, and install) white shower pan, introduced another white object, so now the cream color idea went out the window entirely!

Others convinced us to tie in the colors of the different elements when choosing wall tile(s) for the shower. I had planned on using travertine to match our floor tile (same color, not necessarily the same shape), without any insets or borders, but kept my mind open. Somehow moved away from using travertine in the shower (maybe because of cost, though I don't think we even priced it out--I really don't even know why! Maybe the white shower pan?). We happened to see a sample board in the tile store, utilizing white field tile with a decorative border that had similar colors to our other objects and then chose something that would give an oh-so-slightly similar look (but less expensive!).

I think what we chose will look really sharp, but I do feel a slight pang when I see bathrooms like the one I'd mentioned above. You know; should I have stuck with my original vision for the shower walls? Would using just travertine be cheaper in the long run, vs. using ceramic tile plus a border (a border that is made cheaper aka "doable" for us, by cutting it into 3" "strips," but is still not inexpensive)?

Of course, then I picture what we are planning and I know it'll look really great, just different from the original idea! Heck, we didn't do too bad a job choosing a great backsplash tile...! LOL

As for towels, funny you should mention those! Restoration Hardware is having their summer sale right now (thru 8/2 BTW). We noticed their Espresso colored towels on a trip to the mall the other day, and they seemed darker than any of the towels in BB&B. Ended up getting those, as well as their white ones. Went back and forth on which secondary color to get (taupe to go with the travertine flooring? Introduce another color, like one of the silvery greens?). The salesperson convinced us that white was the way to go. I was hesitant about that only because I prefer to wash all my white with bleach (a no-no for their towels according to RH) and I also know my mom often leaves make-up stains on the towels when she stays here (guess she'll have to use the dark towels for face-washing!).

As for other accessories, I'll have to see what's out there once they start to install the main components. Faucets and hardware (most likely) will be satin nickel, so we'll use that fot the towel bars, things like that, but don't know yet about wastebasket, soap dish or dispenser, etc. Ether satin nickel, dark brown, or some combination of the two, perhaps.

Paint color will be the tough choice for us but we've got a little time before we need to worry about that!

Other bathrooms color ideas are percolating. Have had some in mind, but as with this bathroom, could change as we see what's out there and start choosing things (can you say, process of elimination? LOL!).

Oh gosh--didn't realize this was so long, but too tired of typing to edit (or proofread!), so my apologies!

• artielange
    15 years ago

Marisany, what was the deception that you found with Home Annex?

• charlikin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Funny how we plan and plan and, still, at the last minute we end up doing something completely different than we'd been envisioning. For me, it's the darker-than-expected kitchen cabinets, and how my bathroom has veered off into contemporary from its originally traditional vision.

I love what you're describing for your bathroom, cat_mom - it's going to look very classic. I think the dark espresso vanity is a great choice - more interesting than black, IMO. And the white tile will be beautiful. I love white in a bathroom! (Someday I'm going to have that white tile bathroom with gray-blue mosaic tile border and marble mosaic floor that I saw at Artistic Tile - someday in a richer life. ;-))

There are many beautiful visions for a bathroom (or kitchen). But you can only choose one. (At a time, anyway. :-))

• marisany
    15 years ago

artielange,

I found a sink I loved for a good price on HomeAnnex months ago, and called to check availability. The price was quoted over the phone as $500+, the same as on the website. Expensive, but I was in love with this sink (Kallista Hampstead). I went to see it in a local Klaff's, and was even more in love. But when I called to order it, I was told that the $500+ price was for only one piece (sink or pedestal, I've forgotten which). The other piece was several more hundred dollars. I pointed out that this did not make sense, because this brought the total price to more than the list price, and they were supposed to be a discount site. The guy checked, and said that those prices were correct. So I gave up on that sink (it was over $800 elsewhere) and bought the Porcher Pomezia for $300. Then I checked reviews of HomeAnnex and they were terrible.

The bathroom is now in progress - tiling going on. I'm about to post two threads asking for advice, as soon as I figure out how to include photos. One will be on towel color, because I have the same idea as cat_mom, buying RH towels on sale.

• mercurygirl
    15 years ago

Holy crap, Marisany,

Where in the world did you get a Porcher Pomezia for $300? I thought mine was a good deal, but yours I've never seen in a lot of searching.

My bathroom stalled out, so to speak, as my contractor has personal issues. I'm really missing the shower and just need to get done before bad weather. Off to the tile store tomorrow, and to find a new tile person. Ugh.

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Ours is delayed a little, too--found out the shower pan we'd gotten not only doesn't have non-slip grips or any texture at all, but it isn't even acrylic as we'd all thought. It's gelcoat/fiberglass.

Our salesperson (whose wife had their baby a month early the other night!) is trying to find out how soon/and where he can get us the new one (my first choice, BTW!).