SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marisany

Urgent request for help designing shower doors

marisany
15 years ago

The bathroom remodel is in progress, and I am now under the gun. I have to make a decision about the basic configuration of the shower doors, because this will affect the way the tiling is done at the edges of the shower. The tile guy is almost halfway done, so I have to make this decision right away.

This is a very small full bath, about 7.5' x 5' overall. There will be a long, narrow shower stall (2.5' x 5'), a toilet, and a pedestal sink. The shower stall will be tiled up to the ceiling and on the ceiling. The rest of the room will not be tiled. The tile will extend about 5" past the edge of the shower area.

Here is a diagram:

This shows one option, a fixed glass panel on the end of the shower stall with the hardware, and a hinged door attached to it. The last 6-12 inches of the shower would be left open. My contractor thought that it would be awkward getting in and out of the shower if the door were to swing in this direction, and my husband says that it's a bad idea to have the door to the room and the door to the shower potentially hitting one another. The other option is to have two fixed panels at either end and a door in the middle that would be attached to the fixed panel at the window end, that would open toward the door. I don't want to do this, because the window casing/windowsill would be in the way of where the fixed panel would have to be attached, and they would have to be cut off on one side. Here is a photo of the window and the casing I'd like to preserve. (I am planning to start an "ugliest before bathroom" thread and award myself first place! I did NOT choose this wallpaper.)

This photo is reversed, because my son took it in the mirror.

All comments gratefully accepted. I know that I should consider a sliding door, but that would not solve the problem of the window casing.

Comments (10)