SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
autumn_4_gw

How soon is too soon to research?

autumn.4
11 years ago

Hello fellow gwb'ers.

How much preparation time did you take researching floor plans before you knew you were planning on building?

In our situation it will be about 3 years before we are ready to break ground. The plan is to save to buy land (hope to be able to purchase something in about 18 months) and once it is purchased finish up loose end updates on our current home and put it up for sale.

Is it too early to research plans and try to figure out costs? I already know what our sq. foot parameters will be (and have a few plans I really like and that would be perfect with a little tweaking). I'm finding that I am becoming obsessed already and we have so far to go, lol! My main goal right now is to look at as much as possible so I don't miss/forget anything. It is so exciting to me to have the chance to build what we want (within reason) that I want to make sure I get it right!

Bevangel I think I read somewhere that you built a barn on the new property and lived in that while building? We have talked about doing that very thing also - what is your climate like where you are? We would definitely only be able to do that in the summer where we are at. We will be our own GC and do as much as possible DIY so our build will take a bit longer than 'standard' also.

Thanks for your advice in advance. Last year I was addicted with the kitchen forum updating our kitchen and now I've moved on to the building forum since that is now on the distant horizon. I can't pull myself away!

Comments (11)