SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Too Hot Too Soon.....Bad for the Garden

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
15 years ago

It always happens when we have late freezes here....we seem to go from "too cold" to plant to "too hot" for plants to thrive just overnight. It happened this year and the accompanying winds made everything in the garden suffer so much. It has felt like a blast furnace out in the garden most days.

We have had a break from the winds for most of the last 4 or 5 days, with winds only into the 20s. Nice change.

Unfortunately, our air temperatures and heat index are on the miserable scale and I don't think the plants appreciate it at all. On Sunday afternoon, when we got home from Sears with the new stove, I wanted to go out to the garden.....but I just couldn't. It was so hot that I felt like I was going to pass out. (NOT kidding.) How hot was it? The air temperature was only 97 degrees, which is a little warm for us in mid-June. Really, though, it was the heat index that hurt....107!

At this rate, and with these temperatures and heat index numbers, I can only spend a couple of hours in the garden early in the day and a couple of hours late in the day. Unfortunately for the plants, there is no air conditioned house they can retreat to.

In general, the garden looks good. However, there's a lot of blossom drop on the tomatoes and we need a good "cold front" to come through and drop the temperatures for a few days or a lot of the plants are not going to set additional tomatoes (well, the cherry, grape and currant types still will). Between about 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. everthing wilts, but the plants perk up as soon as the sun starts sinking a little in the western sky. In addition, the pumpkins and melons start getting afternoon shade from a pecan tree between 3 and 4 p.m. and they quickly recover from the daytime wilting. (They are wilting from heat exposure, not dryness.)

If it is this hot in "late spring", what in the world is summer weather going to be like? (sigh) I know that many of you are getting rain, which also cools down the air temps too, but are any of you having heat like this???? I think we are going to have a hard summer here.

Our bermuda grass looks the worst it ever has....it is browning out quite badly (as if I care!). Actually, I am going to have to water the grass for the first time tomorrow. With fire danger increasing here and pastures drying out big-time, I can't let the bermuda go dormant and turn brown because that increases the fire danger around the house.

I keep telling myself that this is the "warm weather" I waited for all winter long, but I think I had slightly milder weather in mind!

I keep asking myself how older generations survived without air conditioning. And, how in the world did they raise all their own crops in this type of weather (often dryland with no irrigation too)? It is a mystery to me.

On the other hand, heat-loving crops like melons and okra are growing terribly well, so at least that is something.

Dawn

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting