SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adaorange

building in a neighborhood that's slow to get occupied

J. T.
10 years ago

Hi,
I was wondering if I could get some opinions on this situation. We are looking for land to build on and there is a neighborhood very close to us that has nice lots. It's in an excellent school district near many other successful and nice neighborhoods. There's nothing about the general area that would indicate any problems, in fact it is quite a desirable area in general. BUT, the first home was build about 6 yrs ago. It was a nice home, around a million dollar home. Since then there has been no activity. There are about 12 lots in the neighborhood, a common size for our town. Typically small neighborhoods get developed and then the lots are sold by the developer to individuals who choose custom builders, and this neighborhood is no different. So it's not uncommon here to see a neighborhood with many different builders doing work.

The neighborhood has paved street, gated and landscaped entrance that has been maintained all these years, just not a lot of activity. Builders we have been talking to say that there is interest starting up but I'm not sure if that's true or sort of a little push for business. I do know there is a phantom listing for one of the lots. Also one builder told us they have another couple ready to jump as soon as someone else takes the first plunge. again, not sure what to make of that.

I'm just not sure what to think. The reason I like this neighborhood is because it allows us to stay at the same elementary school we are currently at. It's just minutes from where we live now. Too risky to move into an almost empty neighborhood, or worth more consideration? How would we find out if there's any other reason for this slow activity?

Comments (8)