SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
disneyrsh

How Do You Negotiate Price of Brand New House?

disneyrsh
15 years ago

I went and looked at a new subdivision that's about 70% built (one builder,small neighborhood), and talked vis email to the realtor with the listings for the remaining lots. She had a list of house and prices and lots, and was running a special of 20k off any house/lot.

I still came away feeling like it would be walking into a new car dealership and paying sticker price.

How does the new home buying process work? I've always bought houses from people before, not builders, and negotiated and walked away and hammered at people and was generally an obnoxious b*tch unti I got the price I needed to be at (or at least close).

But the whole buy a lot and we'll build your house-the concept is so new and unknown to me that I was like, wow, I can't even consider this route until I ask the gardenwebbers...

So, what's the dealy-o with buying from a builder? Let me tell ya, up where I'm looking, there's a TON of inventory of both existing and new homes, so I should have some negotiating leverage. I just don't have a clue how to apply it!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!