SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyce_6333

Went to Parade of Homes again this year

joyce_6333
10 years ago

Most homes were quite modest. The most expensive were just over $500,000. None of the home prices included the lot. Prices were "on your lot".

These are things that stood out to me.

All the homes were ranch style, with the exception of one home that had a large "man cave" (pool, cards, TV, bar/kitchen, bath) on the second floor. That was the only room on the second floor.

Couple had geothermal, most were forced air gas heat. Several with in-floor radiant.

Colors: lots of dark gray exteriors with white trim, but interiors were all warm colors: golds, browns, soft greens etc. Most homes had a combination of white and stained trim. Only one had ALL white trim, a couple had very, very dark stained trim.

Trim: I always look for great trim and carpentry work. Most were really quite plain. Only one home had extensive trim, tray ceilings, ceiling beams, etc. One home had flat hollow core doors, stained a light golden color. And it wasn't one of the lower priced homes, either. Most had small plain baseboards, with flat plain window trim. I was disappointed with that. Suppose it was a cost saver.

Siding: some stucco, most were Smartside. Some nice new colors. Several were a combo of vinyl and fake shakes. Actually, they look ok for their price range.

Kitchens: Of the homes we saw, only 2 had all white kitchen cabinets. Couple had expresso cabinets. Most were stained. One was a combination. Any house over $250 had Cambria counters, really beautiful new patterns! Saw no granite at all. Surprised me. Only one home had Thermador appliances, others had mid-range appliances. Stainless steel still ruled. One had black appliances.

Master bedrooms were average sized, lots of large walk-in showers with beautiful tile work. Nice bath tubs, too. No fancy closets like last year. Most were melamine boards with metal rods. I felt all the master closets were way too small. Many of the bedrooms had just a row of 3 or 4 high windows. This was very prevalent in all the homes.

Floors: Hand-scraped seemed prevalent. Can't say I liked all of them. Only 1 had regular oak, and it was one of the highest priced home. Not much tile at all. One had beautiful Marmoleum throughout the public areas. Lots of carpet. I suppose carpet is a way to keep costs down.

One home had a huge grandparents suite. It included a full kitchen, dining area, nice sized living room, office, bedroom and bath.

Great mud/laundry rooms. They were spacious with lots of cabinets, large closets, and benches.

Other things I noticed....most windows had no window coverings at all. If they did, it was just a panel on each side. The man cave had wood blinds with tape, which looked nice in that room. All the homes had beautiful front doors. Only 1 had an 8' door. It was teak and just stunning. Several homes had stairs from the garage to the basement.

That's about all I can think of. Overall we weren't overly excited about the homes. Guess I always look for new and different building ideas, new technology, and decorating ideas. Nothing really jumped out this year.

Comments (19)