SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladyamity

Thank you! Shower Mud Laid! Pics/Long Post

ladyamity
15 years ago

If it wasn't for this forum and the people here who so willingly give of their time and expert advise, we never, ever would have done this on our own!

We had a few set-backs that kept us from starting the actual shower for almost 2 months but during that time I copied and printed every single post that had to do with laying a pre-slope/membrane/corners folded/protecting weep holes --- you name it, if it was shower floor/pan related, we studied it, and we studied it nightly during those couple months we couldn't start the shower.

Instead of him reading his True War Stories books and me reading my True Crime books in bed, we studied the pages and pages of copied information.

We even gave each other tests on the material!

Yea, I know, not the most romantic thing to be doing in bed but heck, I knew we'd never have the funds to have it done which would mean continuing to have one shower for six adults. But studying in bed all the posts from this forum and giving each other tests, I just KNEW we could do it---and now that we have, nothing says romantic, sensual (or, erotic) like having the confidence to take on something so huge!

We did and it's all thanks to you!

We (he) veered off course a bit when he took a sample of the membrane and hardie to work. He happens to work where the bonder/water-proofer is made that is used on all the waterslide and parking structures of the huge entertainment parks (Disney, Knotts, 6 Flags, etc).

The chemist ran some tests and determined the membrane and bonder/water-proofer were compatible. The clear water-proof stuff was compatible with Hardie, yellow mesh tape and thinset. So on top of the liner and hardie for the niche he used a coat of the icky smelly stuff just for good measure.

At the seams of the hardie he used the clear water-proofer but will still be going over it with thinset.

To have pre-slope, membrane, mud tile base, new drain installed from gooseneck=minimun quote (when we could finally get contractors to show up--all were hesitant because they wanted to do the whole job or nothing): $3,350.

Doing it ourselves=$347.67

Nothing says "sexy sensual erotic" like not having to come up with those big bucks! LOL

I'm sure this is old hat for some of you but you can't possibly understand the excitement and the confidence that came from doing this ourselves---All thanks to you, this forum!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!