SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
itltrot_gw

Pre-slope and liner install bad??

itltrot
9 years ago

I'm back again. I swear I'm about to walk away from this whole house.

DH and I have flip flopped on the install of the shower pan and after talking to 3 local contractors we finally decided we were going to do it to make sure it was done right.

One of the original posts here

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg0620051928326.html

After talking to a new acquaintance, DH learned the guy was a plumber by trade back in California and just moved to Oklahoma. They started talking and he said no problem. He knew preslopes, liners, slope the whole thing.

He showed up Friday evening to help us. He packed the preslope the mud looked good. Held it's shape but didn't leave residue on your hand. DH caught a couple areas where the slope didn't look right and no problem he agreed and reworked it as he was going.

I had more reservations. He was unsure about our concrete curb on our concrete slab and how the liner would attach. Thought we might need it hop mopped which no one around here does. He called a buddy who lined him out. The liner was to be attached to the concrete curb with mortar and the lath put over the top of it.

The whole time I'm looking at the preslope it looks flat to me. DH kept saying there is slope. After the guy leaves DH and I are discussing it and he says he noticed a "speed bump" around the drain on one side which he is certain will prevent water from draining. Again I say the whole thing looks to flat.

Preslope

Next day the guy comes back and feels comfortable with going forward and lays the liner. All we could find to seal the drain was one of the expandable drain plugs with the wing nut. He used silicone to seal the underneath the liner to the drain. He did dam corner and the liner is plenty tall enough. He said let it dry overnight then fill with water for 24 hours.

DH and I didn't go ahead and waste the water to fill it because I didn't like a wrinkle and how it still appeared flat. DH was still concerned about the "speed bump". He filled a pitcher full of water and poured it around the shower. And there is tons of water pooling. By the wrinkle and by the speed bump.

I also noticed the weep holes seem clogged with silicone and the liner wasn't cut for them.

Standing water

Clogged weep holes

DH is wondering if we can pull back the liner and add on to the preslope to fix the flat spots and birdbaths? Maybe use a bonding agent to get the additional material to adhere to the original? And if necessary replace the liner? Or is this a total do-over back to the slab?

I am hoping it's not back to square one because that ruins the noble crack mat that is under the preslope and curb. Which would mean at least $200 down the drain. But I guess I'd rather throw the money away now instead of the whole pan failing.

Where do we go from here? We supplied all the materials and have yet to pay him anything because he didn't want paid until the job was complete. DH plans to talk to him tomorrow but I was hoping for plan of attack before DH calls.

Comments (13)