SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
piscesgirl

Epoxy grout with calacatta marble tile?

piscesgirl
11 years ago

So we are in the planning/purchasing phase of our master bathroom remodel. When we purchsed the 12x12 calacatta marble tiles for the floor the tile shop owner sold us white epoxy grout. Now after reading the Spectralock website I see it's safe for marble but that white marble may soak up the grout through the sides of the tile and create a 'picture-frame' effect.

Also based on the Spectralock site, Epoxy contains sand and could scratch our polished marble tile.

We purchased the tile and epoxy while out of state so we can't take back/exchange for something else, so I am hoping we can use it. Otherwise we will just have to buy regular non-sanded grout and chalk it up to a learning experience.

Spectralock suggests conducting a test area prior to grouting to see if the results are acceptable. If we do a test area, how long would we have to wait to see results? I am assuming it would need to completely dry to truly know if we have the 'picture frame' effect. It is my understanding that once you mix epoxy you have a 80 minutes to work with it. Is it possible to only mix a little bit in order to test the product or do you have to mix it all at the same time? If we have to mix it all at once I am not sure how we can conduct a true test of the product and results.

- Has anyone used epoxy grout with calacatta marble?

- Could I use epoxy if I pre-seal the tile before grouting (after installation onto the floor) or would sealing the side of the tile prevent a good bond?

Thanks. I appreciate any advice.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor