SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamajean15

Botched window trim job - rusty nails

mamajean15
16 years ago

After spending top dollar on Certainteed siding and Aztec white composite trim the installers were two alcholics. The owner that quoted us the job price spent the week on another location. His two hired hands did the work, which he later fired by the way. We now find out that 3 windows that were trimmed out were done so with interior finish nails!!!!Hello can you say RUST waiting to happen. They finished a few months ago and already I see orange bleeding through the nail heads. I am furious. To me, it is obvious that rust streaks will only bleed down siding once water enters the chamber between window and siding within a matter of time. I placed a phone call saying it is unacceptable.Why should my husband have to redo the work that these incompetant workers lazily did. They went into our garage and picked up and used these nails my husband had in there as they were to lazy to purchase the right ones. Owner stated on phone, oh, just caulk over the nail heads and paint over. (quick fix) but what about rust streaking over time. Now we have to paint the trim due to all this.Owner wants to know what we want done. My husband withheld $200 (big deal)a few months after job was finished but now I am telling him we will have to buy more trim and redo the 3 windows with extra costs involved. What would you do? I say, have him come do the work or at least fork out an extra couple hundred dollars to enable us to rebuy more trim and fix ourselves. Ugh. This was a $5500 job by the way. Looks shabby. Caulking around all the windows looks like someone took their big thumb and just sloppily ran it down. when he says, he has since let the guys go I want to rant and rave. Its like a surgeon saying he will do the surgery and lets his two brand new hires who didnt finish medical school do the job and not show up till the end of the week and then say, oh sorry they dont work here anymore anyway - live with that botched body part now (ok, extreme I know- just ranting). I have to call him today...any suggestions appreciated!

Comment (1)