SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jakkom

Repair warning on KA DWs

jakkom
13 years ago

We purchased a KA KUD model DW last Oct and have been very happy with it. I called for the repairman because the rinse-aid dispenser level got stuck - it's supposed to 'float' to mark the level, and it was stubbornly stuck at the highest point regardless of weeks of doing a daily load of dishes. As it's under warranty the repair guy ordered the part and just replaced the whole part (it's all-in-one with the soap dispenser).

This service guy was an old-timer and has worked for the neighborhood independent store we bought this DW from, for several decades.

As he was leaving, he asked if we had an extended warranty (we do). He told me to be on the look-out for a possible pump failure around the third year. He said it would be a gradual loss of cleaning power that would get worse until the pump failed entirely. At that point he said I'd hear water but would be able to tell it wasn't actually spraying inside the interior any longer.

Mind you, this is NOT a given - he was just giving me a warning that IF we happen to see the dishes coming out dirty, this is a likely cause at the 3-yr mark.

KA is part of the Whirlpool Corp. world, so a lot of us have a WP DW under various badge names. I thought I would post this, just to alert others to keep an eye on their DW's cleaning ability as the machine gets older. I didn't even know what the signs were of a failing pump, until he told me, so I thought this might be useful to others as well.

Comments (7)