SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

Learning W7/Vista after XP

jerry_nj
14 years ago

I had a brief experience with an early Vista, I took the computer back and exchanged it for an older machine with XP, and I purchased a Netbook yesterday with W7 Starter.

Here I'm just "testing the waters" at the highest level of discussion on how one maintains a W7 verses an XP environment.

Here's my "high level" view: W7 has the same tools as XP, but most of them are down one or more "clicks" below the level offered by XP. This is more-or-less what I remember of Vista too.

For example, if I want to see if there are any WiFi signals around with XP I can click [start] [Connect to] and from there go directly to the wireless or to all. Or in XP I could right click on wireless icons in the tool tray (that bar at the bottom of the screen). With W7 (albeit the Start version on some Netbooks) I seem to have to go through a couple of levels of clicks via the [control panel].

Am I about right, or should I just put what I know about XP to "sleep" and start anew. Not asking anyone to explain W7 administration, but all pointers will be appreciated.

I hope to do as I have in the past, learn from using, and reading on this great Computer Help Forum.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company