SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loum11

Virus infection

16 years ago

Hello everybody, (please pardon my English, IÂm a francophoneÂ)

This morning, I noticed that the AVG antivirus icon was missing from the taskbar. I clicked on the AVG shortcut on the desktop, AVG opened but with a yellow warning icon on the security status line. Impossible to have AVG runningÂ

My system: IBM desktop computer, Windows XP Pro, SP2, version 5.1.2600, Intel processor 2Ghz, RAM 2 GB

Browser: Firefox

Internet: Cable connection, high speed (always connected)

I uninstalled AVG and re-downloaded it from Grisoft, updated everything and ran a complete scan. It found a Trojan, KillAV.HM, infecting 8 files, which are now in the virus vault:

C:\Program files\Ahead\ODD Toolkit\DVDTray.exe

C:\Program files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe

C:\Program files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe

C:\Program files\QuickTime\qttask.exe

C:\Windows\System32\NeroCheck.exe

C:\Windows\System32\hkcmd.exe

C:\Windows\System32\igfxpers.exe

C:\Windows\System32\igfxtray.exe

What do I do next? Is everything back to normal? I suppose that these "exe" files being in the virus vault will prevent those programs from working anymore (but I have found uninfected copies of these files in a "bak" folder)?

How do I know if a Trojan has done anything to my system? Can it highjack my internet connection and how can I check that?

IÂve had a computer for 10 years, and itÂs the first time I encounter such a problem. My son was on the computer during the night so I suppose it was infected at that time.

Should I disconnect my internet connection by using the "standby" button on the modem when the computer is not in use? And should I use some anti-spyware?

Sorry for all these questions, but I donÂt know what to do next and would like to be sure that everything is now OKÂ

TIA,

Loulou

Comments (9)