SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

? about structure/framing/sheathing

2ajsmama
14 years ago

I just found (2 years after house set) that my modular was framed strangely around my sliding glass door. We were trying to finish trim, my cousin who is a carpenter came and cut new pieces (old top piece from factory cut too short, had just been tacked in place and I had taken it all off to stain). He noticed that there was a 2x6 in the header, where all the windows have open headers. I noticed that too last month when I was replacing the FG with spray foam insulation, but thought nothing of it. Turns out that there is no sheetrock for about 6" over the slider, just stacked 2x6's covered with a thin layer of mud (thinner on one side than the other, of course the thin side is protruding so casing won't lay flat).

He said he could route out the 2x6 (similar to cutting into drywall that he's done on interior doors and some windows where drywall protruded over jamb) so we can trim it out, but then I started thinking - wha's on the outside under the vinyl siding? Anything?

We think the opening was framed too tall (same height as windows) and then when they went to install slider had to fill the 6" gap so chose to stack 2x6's in the top rather than reframe and re-rock. Should we pull the siding off over the door (12ft in the air since we haven't built deck yet) to see what's under the siding? If it's just bare pine or fir, am I going to have a problem with rot and then a structural problem?

My uncle who is a civil engineer and a building inspector went off about suing the builder and getting a structural engineer in (there are other issues too but those seemed to be cosmetic), DH is all upset, after DH left my uncle said it's not going to fail, it's just not right and we should make builder fix it, but all it's going to do is keep cracking the interior wall. The builder patched a crack there about 18 months ago, there might be a small one starting again but really it's less than the cracks over interior doors upstairs that are coming back. Of course small settling cracks aren't covered by the 2/10 warranty.

I'm just worried about the potential problems if there is no sheathing, insulation, or house wrap under the siding in this 6" x 6' area. Uncle says house wrap is just vapor barrier, and we need some air infiltration anyway (though I've been trying to seal up windows with foam to reduce it!) or else we'll need mechanical venting. And wood is decent insulator. So would there even be a problem (besides cosmetic cracking) with leaving this? I thought if we ever wanted to put a breakfast nook or sunroom on we'd take out the double window near the kitchen (about 5 ft away from slider), probably pull out the slider and reuse it there, switch the window to where the slider is now, so the whole back wall of the room is going to be torn up then and we can deal with it then. That may be 15 years from now, since we are so tired from the build and still have a master bath to finish (hopefully within 3 years when the warranty for the tub is up - the tub is set and has a drain, but no faucet).

Thanks

Comments (12)