SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mudlady_gw

Does a router affect download speed?

mudlady_gw
14 years ago

When I bought my laptop it came with a package of "discounts", some of which I wanted. Because a router was included I had someone set up a local network for my house. I can use the laptop anywhere in the house, but after the novelty wore off, I have seldom used the it except to take on vacation. I live way out in the country and the only high speed connection available to me is from a satellite or DSL from TDS. I am not very happy with my Dish reception or the company (no other way to receive TV out here except Direct and I think they will be very similar to Dish) so my broadband is with TDS. I was told to expect the laptop to be a little slow, and it is, because it is part of a network. My question is: will my DSL connection work faster if I turn off the router? Will everything else run OK with the router turned off? The man who set up my network lives 5 miles up the road and he can get Verizon. I am in such a rural area that my neighbors tell me other companies, other than TDS, will ever come out here in my lifetime.

Nancy

Comments (2)