SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northcarolina_gw

What paint color for B/W floor and subway walls?

northcarolina
13 years ago

Hi! We are remodeling the bathroom in our 1949 house and I can't put off the paint decision any longer. It's a small room (5x8) and we have had the walls tiled to 48" with white subways/white grout, same as the tub surround which stops a foot or two below the ceiling. The floor is black/white pinwheel dot (Am. Olean) to echo the original. Fixtures are white except for the vanity, which is a medium-dark cherry one on legs with a white porcelain sink top (unless I lose my nerve putting a wood cabinet on a B/W floor, in which case I will run get a pedestal sink). In case it matters, the bathroom is used by our small children and also by visitors since it's near the front of the house.

I had been thinking of charcoal gray on the top half of the walls but am not sure (husband is skeptical of such a dark color but has no strong opinions either way). I am also considering various shades of blue or green... would that be too many base colors, with the B/W tile and the cherry vanity?

Opinions welcome! I buy paint tomorrow, after the floor tile is down and I have a chance to see how bright it is going to be and how the vanity will look against all that tile. (The new B/W pinwheel is much brighter than the old, since it's glazed...) Thanks in advance!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus