SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroleohio

Mystery of the Leaking shower

CaroleOH
15 years ago

Ok, some of you might remember my shower saga which started in February with the need to repair some water damage on the shower threshold and adjoining drywall.

That simple "repair" job resulted in an entire retiling of the shower walls and a new shower door. The tile floor and pan were not touched as there weren't any issues with water leaking, grout cracking etc.

First problem was when the caulk in the joints where the walls meet the floor never cured. It just stayed soft. Anytime we used the shower, water would erupt from these joints. My assumption was the joints weren't water tight and the water got behind there and built up leaking back onto the tile floor in the shower. Note - this leakage was contained in the shower it self. Never had a water problem on the bathroom floor, adjoining walls, or the ceiling in the kitchen directly below.

So, after two attempts at using caulk, the repair guy used regular sanded grout in these joints because they were so wide and deep, it just seemed that caulk wasn't ever going to work. He then used clear silicone caulk overtop of the grout, resealed the shower floor and it looked great, water wasn't erupting from the joints etc. I thought it's fixed!!

Three days later, I notice a very large brown spot in my kitchen ceiling, directly under the shower. I cut out the ceiling and see where water was dripping - it looks like the corner next to the wall where the shower door is. Went back upstairs and checked the caulking closely - no cracks, no standing water. The shower is dry, caulk is dry, bathroom floor dry, walls dry - no water issues upstairs at all.

Call the repair guy - he comes back out, turns on the shower, splash water all over the place. Take a bucket and fill it with water and pour it into the corners and against the walls. No water leaks throught the ceiling. We let the water run for 15 minutes.

That afternoon, I let my teenage son use the shower. Low and behold the water leak started shortly after he started his shower. Why would it leak then and not when before when the repair guy was here??? Could the weight of a 120 pound kid cause a crack??? And if did, shouldn't the liner keep that water in - especially since it hasn't ever been an issue before? I am worried that in doing the repairs, the liner got damaged....

Anyone else have an ideas of what to do? I have another guy coming, but I think he's going to have to cut some of my floor out to see - there's only a very small cutout that you can look up into and see the water drip. It's impossible to see where the problem is since there is flooring under the pan.

Am I going to have to rip out this pan? I'm about ready to replace the whole dang thing with an acrylic shower liner!! No grout, no cracks!!!

Comments (7)