SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
polarprincess

A couple of last minute questions before new computers arrive

polarprincess
14 years ago

My first question is what is best to transfer the files? a transfer cord, software? flash drives etc? i already tried my portable hard drive but it won't work on my current computer. If my AVG scans have all come out clear can i assume they are safe to transfer or do i also need to do the malware and all of those as well? I am afraid to do anything that requires me to shut down my computer right before i am going to transfer as i feel my computer is at risk for crashing any time....but i also don't want to transfer some bad virus.

I am trying to go wireless for the first time ever, and i still need to buy a router. (also a different post) we will have my current computer if it doesn't crash, a laptop, a new desktop, wireless printer,an Xbox 360 Arcade, and an Ipod touch that will be using the network. The printer is a G, and the wireless card in the laptop is an N. I was told that the best router to buy for the XBOX would be a Linkseys (sp) D link. Does this sound like something that would work with everything? I am sooo confused! I will go back as well and read my post on the routers again.

On these new computers, they come with Mcaffee for 15 months. should i just use it until they expire, or should i unsinstall it and use AVG? How about Zone Alarm, do i still need it for software even though i will have a router? Are both of these compatible with Windows 7? Anything else i should do right away?

thanks so much

Comments (10)