SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

West Coast Built-in Refrigerators, heard of them?

breezygirl
12 years ago

While messing around on Craigs List hoping I'd run into a deal on a 36" sub-zero fridge, I found this place. It's called West Coast Built-in Regrigerators. They sell refurbished built-in units and custom panels. I'm mildly interested. I also posted over in Kitchens for those that wander that direction.

Has anyone ever heard of them? Reliable?

Here is a link that might be useful: West Coast Built-in Refrigerators

Comments (26)

• deeageaux
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

SZ 590 for $3500

A five year old SZ 632/642 goes for about $4K.

They seem kinda spendy.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok Deeageaux. How about a 3 year old 650? Is $3500 fair price?

I have another thread about a SZ I saw on CL for $3500. They say it was installed in a rarely used vacation home. I need to decide asap if it's worth over an hour's drive with two young kids. One hates car trips. I won't bother going if it's too over priced.

• Related Discussions

We need a West Coast report...Annie..anyone?

Q

Comments (62)
    OK, I'm BACK!!! Not married, not arrested, but I did get a little sunburn, drank some chocolate port and almond champagne, took lots of pictures. I'm completely and totally whipped, but I had the most wonderful time. OMG, I cannot thank the California contingent enough for taking care of me. I did call Jessica once when I was hopelessly lost, and then promptly went into the nearest gas station and bought a map!!! I ate oranges and fish every single day, went to the beach twice more, I even swam. I'll post pictures as soon as I get unpacked and get the pictures on the computer. THANKS AGAIN, CALIFORNIA. A special thanks goes to Gina for driving, arranging, reserving. Elery says his new favorite food is sushi. Thank you, you were such a sweetheart and the next time I'LL drive and come to visit Odo. Diana, your a** looks great, trust me. So does the rest of you, you are absolutely gorgeous, truly you are, and you did a great job on the sushi. I don't think twice as many people could have eaten all that sushi. Elery liked the one wrapped in cucumber but I liked that tempura battered and deep fried one, of course. I loved all the guys, Lars was as sweet as I thought he would be. Scott and Kevin were adorable. Ellen and Jessica were just like I remembered, Ellen was friendly and outgoing and Jessica is evil. LOL Jessica, I hope your back feels better. It was great meeting Ann, a former Michigan girl hiding out on the coast. Who'd a thunk it? It's past midight here and I'm tired beyond belief. I'll post a REAL response tomorrow. Annie
    ...See More

Opinions on Presidential Pools or West Coast Pools in AZ?

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi I used Presidential Pools back in 2002. I don't have one complaint. They were easy to work with, built what I thought was a quality pool and fixed any issues that came up. We had them repair some cracks in the kool decking. It was a messy job but they came out and did it without a problem. I seem to recall that we also had a problem with the in ground cleaning system as well. They also took care of that. Build time was within 30 days as promised. Now, keep in mind that this was more than 6 years ago. I am now in Texas and heard from their sister company Cody Pools that business is slow. They were building 2000 pools a year and are now building about 12 a month. I imagine that the real estate market has impacted just about every pool builder out there. Good luck to you!
    ...See More

West Coast Built-in Refrigerators, heard of them?

Q

Comments (10)
    Breezygirl- I don't know anything about this company, but since you check Craigslist, have you tried to put an alert out on list-alert.com for one? I too, needed a specific size, so put a list-alert out for "36 inch refrigerator" and got a great deal on a 36 inch built in (Kitchenaid) for $400, with new compressor. After paying $200 for delivery, and $100 for the local appliance store to do a check up on it, I figured I got a smoking good deal, and it looks great and works even better! I'm a few hours south of you, but frequently see SZ's on CL for really good deals...... I also put alerts out for Seattle as well as Portland, since it opens up more possibilities. In fact, there's a SZ 700 TC on there today....(PDX) Here is a link that might be useful: SZ in Hillsboro, OR
    ...See More

Anyone owns the Samsung built in 48" refrigerator?

Q

Comments (0)
    My first built in GE monogram died after 10 years and I replaced it with another GE Monogram. The second one lasted 9 years and just died last week. They both had problems with the outside ice dispenser. With the first fridge within the second year, I spent $495 to fix it the ice dispenser only to have it stopped working within 9 months later. With the second one, the ice dispenser also stopped working just after the 1 year warranty. This time, I just make my own ice using ice cube tray. Had no other problems with them beside the ice maker. When I went shopping last week at Pacific Sales, I was going for the cheapest built in available, GE profile, considering all built ins are about $4000 more than the freestanding one. The sales person recommended the Samsung built in. Just had it installed today, after a lot of issues with the installation. Would love to hear if anyone currently owns a Samsung built in fridge (I've heard this is a new built in model for Samsung) and your experience with it so far. I just pray that the new samsung fridge will work with no issues for another 10 years or so.
    ...See More
  • deeageaux
    12 years ago

Sorry breezygirl,

I had been looking for a deal on a used SZ 42" or 48" for about a year before I bought my new Liebherr but didn't really pay attention to the 650 or other sizes.

I have seen this one though. From the Los Angeles CL ad

Subzero 650/O - Overlay Panel New Never Used - $1600

I bought a new Subzero 650/O- Overlay about 4.5 years ago for about $3,800 when I was remodeling my kitchen. Unfortunately, I was not able to install it due to a miscommunication with the cabinet maker.

The refrigerator is not in its box and has never been used.
    The design of 650/O overlay model is to cover the compressor with a cabinet panel to match your kitchen cabinets; this is the same for the doors. The refrigerator does not have an S/N and warranty paper work as it was bought from a Hollywood movie set.
    I am selling the refrigerator AS IS.

Here is a link that might be useful: Subzero 650/O - Overlay Panel New Never Used - $1600

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Interesting. Sounds like the one I'm looking at might be over priced. Too bad I'm not in Cali.

Thanks.

• aprince
    12 years ago

"""The refrigerator does not have an S/N and warranty paper work as it was bought from a Hollywood movie set."""

I hope it's not the one from Iron Man 2. That refrigerator was pummeled and I didn't even think it was a good action scene.

• eileen49
    12 years ago

Be very careful about buying anything from West Coast Built in Refrigerators! I purchased a 5 year old Sub Zero 680 S as advertised on their website for $4500.00 and instead they sent an 11 year old Sub Zero 680 S. They said they would give me an $800.00 credit which makes the price of the 11 year old Sub Zero $3700.00 which is far too much. They also said they would give a full refund 30 days after the Sub Zero was returned and I would have to pay for return shipping.So then they would have the refrigerator and my money plus the money I would spend to ship it back to them. Makes perfect sense to me?? One other thing, if you use Pay Pal, they have a 45 day enforceable refund from time of payment,however WCBR delivers the fridges after 45 days so you can't get a refund from Pay Pal. Pay Pal is now tracking this company. I have also filed a claim with American Express who will be dealing with WCBR to resolve this matter.BUYER BEWARE!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Soooo glad I trusted my instincts and looked elsewhere. West Coast Built-ins sounds like a scam. Sorry you had such a bad experience, but hopefully your post will prevent others from the same.

Good luck with an acceptable outcome from them. I always try to use AmEx for these types of purchases when I can also.

• Tarheel7
    11 years ago

Anyone have any recent experiences with these guys? They are still around and I'm in the market for a cheap SZ

• Wernstrom
    11 years ago

I'm sorry to hear about what happened to eileen49, my experience was a little different. About 7 weeks ago I talked to Brandy from west coast built-in refrigerators on the phone. The refrigerator I had at that time was too small and it didn't suit my needs. So upon inquiring of prices I found out I could get a good deal on this sub zero from 1995 (550 model). I paid $2500 for it and it arrived outside my house 6 weeks later. I know 1995 was 17 years ago and a refrigerator that old could be a gamble. But I was pleasantly surprised, it was clean, it had a new grill, new stainless steel, and they even through in a new ice maker system. Anyhow that representative Brandy was nice and gave me all the info I needed. And I didn't feel rushed or obligated to commit to anything. I would recommend west coast built-in refrigerators from my own experience.

• remodel321
    10 years ago

Do NOT buy from west to east coast built in.!!!The company is dishonest and extremely shady! Purchased a sub zero from them that clearly specified on my receipt what I was getting. The company offered to hold it for us for a couple of months while our remodel was being completed. During that time I believe they had another interested party in our fridge and they sold it I'm sure thinking they'd be able to find another. My biggest mistake was not having them send a picture of the model/ serial # and date from the inside door if the fridge. When it came time to finally ship the fridge, we were unable to get in touch with them for over a week as they were likely panicking trying to find a replacement fridge. When we finally threatened canceling our credit card payment, they shipped 'a fridge' which took several weeks to arrive ( though we live less than a 12 hour drive away). Immediately I knew it was not what we had ordered as the door opened on the wrong side and the pro- grill that was supposed to be included was actually an old grate ( not a stainless grill). When we checked the delivery paperwork we found they had actually altered our original receipt to show we ordered the other side opening and had put the word 'no' in front of pro grill included ( as stated on our original receipt). They then tried to say that we had changed our minds after the original receipt which is why there were two different receipts and they told us we had to pay the return shipping!. This company is a scam!! We immediately had our credit card company return our funds and had an attorney threaten them to remove the fridge from our property at their expense or we would keep the fridge at their loss. They took the fridge back and by the way drove away with it on its side laying down in the back of a pick up ( these are never supposed to be laid down and should remain on a palette for safe moving). So some poor sucker is going to buy that fridge which will surely not work properly.
    When I told Brandee I was filing fraud with our credit card company she said they no longer except credit cards... Whatever you do, do NOT pay cash to these people ! Avoid them all together!!
    Really too bad as I loved the idea of reusing these subzeros so they don't end up in landfills...

• jakvis
    10 years ago

Just an FYI never buy a product without a factory model and serial number tag !!!
    When a factory scraps a product they remove the data tag and pay the company doing the pick to scrap the refrigerator according to local ord. Some of these products are scrapped because of safety issues.
    Some dishonest companies will try to resell the products on CL or other websites or even swap meets.
    If it doesn't have a factory data tag don't buy the unit.

• westsider40
    10 years ago

bump

• allisonford305
    10 years ago

Well I think that some of these reviews are getting confused with another business because my personal experience was not as some of the others here. I purchased a Sub-zero 642 from this business online. I submitted a payment through the company website. My refrigerator was of course panel ready, being a sub-zero. The company includes free NEW stainless steel panels with the refrigerator and new compressors. I can understand how someone might be sketchy or leery to order an expensive product such as these online, however the company offers a free one year sealed system warranty and free shipping. So I thought it would save me a lot of money compared to what a new Sub-zero goes for. Especially since the company has a technician prove working order of the unit before it is shipped. So anyway 4 weeks after I placed my order, I received my refrigerator. Works like a dream. It has been about 10months now and no issues have arose. My refrigerator looks brand new and gorgeous in my new kitchen. There are several businesses with similar names to West Coast Built in Refrigerators and I just want to point out to be careful when reading reviews to not get confused with different businesses.

Here is a link that might be useful: this is where i purchased. satisfied customer!

• ct1977
    10 years ago

The United States was built on small business's like West Coast Built-In Refrigerators remember that! Next time you write a review that can hurt OUR economy. I don't want to buy from other countries do you?

I purchased a refrigerator from these guys and they are great! Kinda slow in the shipping but I do believe that small business get slammed.

Another thing, when is the last time you had a hard time and needed someone to give you a break.

How often do you see positive reviews for things they do right? I'm sure people don't take the time to write those reviews. Why is that? Because they are happy! That's why.

I have a small business and when someone attacks us it usually means that they are kinda shady. Or the didn't get there way. or they stole something from that business and dont want to pay for the item.

• kaseki
    10 years ago

Potential damage from bouncing around in the back of a truck aside, laying a refrigerator down can cause the refrigerant to pool where it isn't expected to pool. One shouldn't operate the refrigerator in this condition. Because I thought I might have to lay my SZ 632 down to get it where it was going, I checked with SZ and was told that it could lay down so long as it wasn't turned on until it had been upright for (as I recall) 24 hours.

Designs differ among models, so the manufacturer should be consulted before horizontal storage or moving is considered. Fortunately, SZ answers the phone.

kas

• nicocraw
    10 years ago

Definitely, don't buy from them. The owner sounds really sweet on the phone and gives you the whole story about a small family business, but as of 4/2/14 I have still not received my refrigerator or a valid tracking number showing it shipped.

In October 2013, I contacted West Coast about purchasing a 48" Viking refrigerator for my house. I asked for a model number and dimensions, never recieved a model number. Paid with a check, because they were no longer take credit cards (this way you cannot cancel them). I have been trying to get the purchased refrigerator shipped since early February 2014, keep in mind I have an email from December 2013 saying that they had it in their posesssion and could get it to me within two weeks.

The owner has provided the following excuses: we are moving locations, I had to have surgery, my father in law died, my husband is the only one who can put it on a pallet, my staff is behind and some have quit, I didn't know what kind of handles you wanted, I wil provide you the shipping details tomorrow, it will ship next week, the tracking number I provided is not a tracking number just a request to have the shipping company pick it up, the shipping company is picking it up on 4/1/14 and I am waiting for the company to arrive, I will send you the tracking number.

So all in all, it looks and now feels like a huge scam. I have been asking for my money back for a few weeks because I am not confident that 1) they have the refrigerator, 2) that they are going to ship it, or 3) that it will work when it arrives.

So please do not think this will not happen to you or believe that I am just an angry consumer or that I have confused companies. I have done everything possible to work with this company, and in the end it's 4/2/14 and I do not have a refigerator, a tracking number showing it shipped. Because of this, I am being forced to purchase a replacement refrigerator as I have 3 small children and no place to store food starting on 4/5/14.

• gigelus2k13
    10 years ago

I have no horse in this race, but the level of astroturfing involving this company is astounding!

All three positive posts in this thread have been written by people who have exactly one message on gardenweb and who registered on the day of their posting. Interesting, isn't it?

• 59 Dodge
    10 years ago

Agree about the "Astroturfing"

Google "West Coast Built-in Refrigerators BBB", lots of "Interesting info", there.

West Coast Built-in Refrigerators really should have done some research on some of the SZ fridges, as I did, back in 2006, (when I decided to buy the Jenn-air instead of the SZ).

Rather than Tick off SZ owners here by "Reposting the info", I found during my 2006 research, I would suggest
    you research those models yourselves before deciding to
    buy a "Used SZ Fridge".

Failure to do so, could cost you a lot of money as it probably did West Coast Built-in Refrigerators.
    Remember you have 2 compressors, 2 evaporators and 2 condensers to be concerned about!

Gary

• nicocraw
    10 years ago

I have updated my post on Rip-Off website. My experience has not improved and the quality of their product was worse than could be expected.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/West-Coast-Built-In-Refigerators/Molalla-Oregon-97038/West-Coast-Built-In-Refigerators-West-Coast-Built-In-Refrigerators-and-Custom-Paneling-LL-1135819

• applnut
    10 years ago

So sorry the various posters have had to go through this, but thank them for sharing here. It's good for buyers to share their experiences, both good and bad, and help out their fellow consumers.

• dcvengros
    10 years ago

This is your warning. Either West Coast is a scam or they are on the verge of going under. It certainly could be the former given that they owe me $1,800 that is long over due and don't take credit cards. If it is the second, your check will only pay me and you'll be stuck waiting for the next sucker to come along.

On July 8th 2013, I paid West Coast Built-in Refrigerators $2,600 for a Sub-Zero 690 "with a few minor dings" to be delivered to my home in Greenbrae California. Three weeks later when I called to arrange delivery, they told me the refrigerator they sold me was sold "by the warehouse" to someone else. We offered flexibility and agreed to accept a 590 Sub-zero - an inferior model - for the same price given that our general contractor had already started construction and we were stuck.

They told us this "new" refrigerator was in great condition but they had to pick it up in Los Angeles and would deliver it to us on the way back to Oregon. We decided to ignore the fact that the company had personally not seen the refrigerator or that they could not possible “refurbish” the refrigerator before delivering it to us. (Of course, how could they say the 690 had a few minor dings when it was at the same L.A warehouse)

To make a long story short, we cancelled the delivery and asked for a refund after repeated delivery cancellations - many of which they simply did not show up. They agreed to the refund. Despite frantic promises, they have only delivered $900 and still owe us $1,800 as of today.

Here is a link that might be useful: WestCoastBuiltinFridge

• Coop1976
    9 years ago

It is unfortunate that some of you had negative experiences with them. A couple months ago when I was looking into purchasing a sub zero I researched and read a lot of these reviews. Although there are some negative reviews I decided to purchase through them because I was referred to by them by a close family friend who had used them and had a great experience. Since I trust the judgment of my friend I decided to give them a try. My experience with talking to Brandee at WCBR was totally positive and helpful. I decided to go with the subzero 501 model and after purchasing it, it arrived at my home within the 6 week time frame as stated on their website. So far everything is working great and I am pleased with my purchase.
    Someone above had mentioned that the good reviews came from people who signed up on Gardenweb the same day, and I wanted to say that I had to create a profile in order to put a review so I don’t think that has anything to do with the reviews. It’s good to keep in mind that every business has positives and negatives. I am glad my experience has been positive so far.

• Tim.Chicago
    9 years ago

West Coast Built In Fridges stole $2715 and I am not the only one!
    My parents own a small business and I am the first to support small businesses but this is not a reputable mom and pop shop. They will steal your money and not feel bad about it. They no longer have a paypal acount because paypal closed it for too many charge backs. I wish I would have read these reviews before I gave them $2715 on 1/21/14 and as of 8/11/14 no refrigerator, no refund, not even a call back or email response.
    They will provide excuses and put you off past the time that your credit card company will reverse the charges. If you use them (and I truly hope you do not) check with your credit card company and see how long you have to reverse the charges and have the refrigerator delivered before then. If you do not have the refrigerator, reverse the charges and do not listen to their excuses and promises of it will be delivered in just another 3 weeks, or on Monday, or whatever they will say to put you past the point where they have your money and there is nothing you can do but sue them for it back.
    Here is how it happened for me and after reading similar stories, I am not the only one. I have all the emails documented. I have too many calls between these that went either unanswered or to a voicemail box that is full. I would love to get together with others and have a class action lawsuit against WCBIF to get the $10's of thousands of dollars this company stole.
    1/21/14: Paid via Paypal $2715 for a 36” 550 rt opening sub zero, no panels, new compressor, 1 yr sealed system warranty plus custom professional grill.
    3/13: emailed Kayla on status of delivery
    3/17: email from Brandee Humphrey that Kayla no longer works here and she will get back to me with delivery this week.
    3/18: Brandee said she is waiting for the grill to come in. Also, an FYI that she is recovering from surgery and to forgive us for being slow.
    4/2: emailed Brandee for status
    4/3: Brandee said her father passed away 2 weeks ago and we are behind on orders ��" working on yours next. Had to order the cold control.
    4/21: Emailed Brandee for status (no response)
    5/5: Emailed that since I have not heard anything on the status of the refrigerator in over a month, I was going to call the credit card company and reverse the charges if I did not hear back from them.
    5/5: Emailed and requested a refund.
    5/6: called over 4 times and emailed over three times in the past 2 weeks with no response.
    5/6: spoke to Candy (new office assistant) who said she would have Brandee call me back when she gets in in the afternoon. No call back ��" asked for a refund.
    5/7: Candy offered a $200 creditif I didn’t charge back the credit card and they would ship on 5/19 and deliver between 5/24 and 5/29.
    5/21: emailed if refrigerator had been shipped and if the delivery company will call me first before delivery.
    5/21: Response was “yes they will call first.”
    5/23: Called and left a message regarding shipping status.
    5/27: Called and left a message again because I did not receive any call from the shipping company ��" need tracking.
    5/27: Called again and left a message.
    5/27: email response from Brandee Humphrey ��" the owner. The office no longer has phone staff to answer calls, please email for updates. I know I have made promises that have not been kept in the past. Unfortunately I cannot uphold the promise of delivery this week as of today. The one we we set aside for you is not good enough. I am refurbishing another for you. Please allow another 3 weeks or less for the order to be received. If not, I can understand you wanting a refund.
    5/29: Emailed and asked for a 6/17 delivery of the fridge.
    5/29: Emailed and asked for someone to call me since I have not heard via email or phone the status of the order.
    5/29: email that Candy no longer works here.
    5/30: no word on delivery. Demanded to hear back by 6/2 that the refrigerator will be delivered on 6/17 or refund my money on 6/2.
    6/1: email from Larry. Yes your fridge will be shipped out before the 10th of June. Thanks for your patience.
    6/2: emailed Larry back asking to let me know when it ships including the tracking and carrier info.
    6/2: Larry responds: Will do.
    6/12: emailed and asked for tracking
    6/12: Response back is: Thank you for your patience. Let me get back to you later today.
    6/13: Email saying carrier is picking up on Monday (6/16)
    6/13: Emailed and asked for a delivery date since it was to be shipped out today.
    6/16: Emailed and asked if the refrigerator shipped and when was the deliver date.
    7/28: Called and spoke to Brandee saying we submitted a chargeback with paypal and if she would pay the paypall chargeback. Brandee said that paypal closed their account due to the number of chargebacks. She will talk to Larry and call me back within 24 hours.
    8/5: Called and mailbox full
    8/5: Emailed them to say that since I have not heard back that I will begin legal proceedings and also contact the BBB, place reviews on every site I can find, and flag their craigslist ads for fraud as they continue to advertise products on at least 11 sites around the country collecting money without providing the product.
    8/6: Called and mailbox full
    8/9: Called and left message that I am not in a position to just throw away $2700 and pleaded for them to call back and refund my money (no call back)

• Dorys Prentice
    9 years ago

Just looked at the BBB today and there is this alert

"According to information in BBB files, this company is no longer in business. If you have an unresolved dispute with this company you may wish to seek legal advice."

• rpjdbf
    9 years ago

Brandee stole 2k of my money too. She moved to Fresno and started up another scam business, but I found her. It is called Nationwide Fridge Paneling. Here is the new website http://www.nationwideappliance.net/.

Feel free to call her directly at 559-321-8409 and give her a piece of your mind if she owes you money.

• greybull
    9 years ago

Brandy stole $4000.00 from me. One year ago I made a prepayment for a side by side 501 set of SubZeros. You know the routine, always a plausible story to delay.

I am a retired Federal Investigator. Since it has now been over one year, I have gathered and kept all correspondence with Brandy. The fact she crossed state lines and continued to deceive and deflect my demands for my money or the goods, means she and her husband are now in violation of several federal felonies.

It will take some time to prepare the case for the Federal Prosecutors, but this will move forward and Brandee and her husband will be facing Federal and Oregon and California Federal felony charges. If found guilty, they will spend a long time in prison.

I highly recommend that all of you go to the Federal and State authorities and start filling your cases. These people are sociopath criminals and nothing less than a serial grand theft crime ring.

Federal Attorney office
    http://www.justice.gov/usao/districts/

Oregon Attorney General
    http://www.doj.state.or.us/divisions/pages/criminal_justice_index.aspx

California Attorney General
    http://oag.ca.gov/

I will keep you updated as I move my case forward.