SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

Ripping CDs for multiple use.

chas045
10 years ago

I have just realized that I could find good reasons to rip our CDs to a PC Win 8.1 computer so that they could be played on our stereo as well as being downloaded to wife's i-pad And her android phone. The ripping appears to be reasonably straight forward using Windows Media Player but my initial readings (and comments here) suggest that it might not be the best choice because of the Mac vs PC differences and no lossless format. I didn't actually complete an attempt at ripping with WMP but I saw that much practical info including the album cover appeared to be ready to be stored.

The main issue I believed to be a weakness in WMP was that it didn't use the FLAC (no loss) format. Snidley and others on the web had suggested FLAC to be a good choice but perhaps it is unnecessary?? I had been hoping for a free program like WMP. I saw a program called dBpoweramp that sounded very good but that perhaps it required a monthly charge for major functions. I therefore tried FRE:ac

Fre:ac seems like it might do the job but I couldn't seem to make it work up to expectations. I was able to get the artist name and track name. There didn't appear to be a way to get the cover. Perhaps if I had changed the file name layout from the default, I would have done better but what I ended up with was my twelve tracks into my music folder. Each had the artist name and the track name and no other info and no separation from anything else that could have been in my (empty) mymusic folder. No album name or track number and the tracks were therefore in alpha order.

Before I ripped, there were empty spots for the album name, type, produce date etc. but when I clicked on the retrieve data button, I saw a screen with ALL of that info. but it didn't get attached anywhere useful.

So: does anyone know what I might be mis handling with fre:ac?? Are you familiar with other rippers? Would i-tunes for PC work for this using its lossless format instead of FLAC and presumably download or sync compressed files to the i-pad or the android phone etc. Would WMP actually do this adequately??

Snidely; I know you thought others wouldn't be interested in the LP version of this subject, and if you feel the same way here, I will look for a possible private response, but the question seems of general interest.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville