SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
niq77174

Whirlpool vs Samsung/LG fridge: Importance of local service?

niq77174
11 years ago

Hi everyone, long time lurker, first-time poster here...

We're moving into a new house that won't have all of the appliances installed. We've been looking at refrigerators and have narrowed it down to three models:

* LG LFC257XX series (which is hard to find b/c the LFC25776 isn't in production anymore?) - $1800 if we can find it.

* Samsung RFG series -- $1850 for the floor model

* Whirlpool GX5 series -- $1650

CR rates them all about the same. The LG is the most energy efficient; we've had friends & family recommend mostly the Samsung but also a few for the LG, and the Whirlpool is the cheapest of the bunch but still solid. So each one has its plusses and minuses.

The sales rep I spoke to recommended the Whirlpool because it's the only one where the mfgr has real local support. For the others, in case of repair we'd dial the national 800 number, they'd contract out to someone local, we'd have to wait for parts, etc. I was impressed he was willing to recommend the cheapest model but I have no clue if he's selling me a bill of goods.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do? How important is the fact that the support options are better for Whirlpool? If your appliances don't have local manufacturer support, how has the experience been when you've needed repairs?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus