SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
athensmomof3_gw

ok floor plan gurus - how to fix this mess! X posted from baths

athensmomof3
12 years ago

Met with the builder today at our house. The second floor is being framed and we had, I thought, a toilet below a window in a dormer in one of the bathrooms. Not ideal but I could live with it. I asked the foreman to climb the ladder and measure the distance from the floor to the bottom of the window frame so I could figure out what height toilet would work. Well . . . the answer was 19 inches! It looks like the architect designed the toilet to sit directly in front of the window! I was surprised to say the least and trying to figure out how to fix this mess. We have some expansion area to the right and left. The left is my son's bedroom and the right is the playroom closet (not necessary to keep as we have another and certainly could be made smaller).

Here is the floor plan. It is a child's room (boy) so huge vanity and huge closet aren't necessary - it is just what fit. The bathroom does need two doors. One into the bedroom and one into the hallway as it will serve both the playroom and the bedroom.

I would even switch to a smaller window if it would work with the elevation. It is now a 2'8" by 5'0. Here is an earlier elevation with a plate glass window in the dormer. We changed to the larger window to match the others in the elevation. We can reframe the rooms or dormers if necessary, and although the windows have been ordered I can buy another one for that space if necessary. I would be willing to put a piece of furniture (like a chest) or build in a window seat in the dormer if I could find another spot for the toilet!

Thanks for all your help!

Comments (15)