SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clairesproject

Swanstone shower pan & tile walls

clairesproject
13 years ago

I am hoping some one can help me. I've been lurking here for a while, gathering ideas for my bathroom remodel. (Thanks everybody!) I've decided on a swanstone shower pan and tile walls. But I am confused about two issues: what to use to seat the pan and then how to get the grout in the tiles below the backerboard and over the flange.

I've read to use thinset mortar mix, gypsolite, or sandmix concrete. The current swanstone instructions say to use thinset mortar. Is there an advantage to using something else?

I am also confused about how (where) to set the pan. I thought the idea was that the tile did not touch the pan, so that if there was movement in the pan, it wouldn't impact the walls, and so that water would not wick up into the tile (grout, really, I guess) from the pan. The directions say that the pan has to be about 1/4 inch away from any wall, so that the backerboard will line up flush with the inside edge of the flange. But the directions are really to then attach the swanstone panels, not for tile.

If I install it like that, and then tile, the bottom of the tile ends up basically attached to the flange. When I read about this on the John Bridges forum, it seems to say that the backer board should overhang the flange by a 1/4 inch - that is, the backer board is not level with the flange, but juts forward a bit, and then the tile is set basically 1/4 inch in front of the flange, and does not actually touch the pan. If I do that, how do I get grout in between the joint for that last inch of tile?

Or am I completely confused?

I would be very grateful for any help anyone could give. There are a lot of great tile folks out here.

Thanks so much.

Comments (4)