SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
walnutseed

wireless router question

abreeze
13 years ago

I recently took the plunge and went wireless with a Netgear WGR614V10 router. A Verizon DSL tech helped me with the installation. I used WPA2 for security.

I have 2 desktops and a laptop - the desktops are wired to the router. I'm the only user and am puzzled by what occured last night when I put my desktop to sleep. Before I left the room it began to run again. Once more I set it to sleep with it immediately starting up again. This time I shut it down, but the #1 on my router turned amber after the shut down. This happened about 1 1/2 weeks ago, and I turned off the router until I needed to use my computer. After a few days of doing this, I left my router on with no further incidents until last night. (Normally, when I put my pc to sleep, no numbers are lit.) I turned my router off because I feared someone had broken into my connection.

I called DSL support, but they said no one could possibility be piggybacking my connection. Do you have any idea why the #1 turned amber??? I have Vista Home PRemium and use Avira and ZA. I scanned with Avira, MBAM, and Superantispyware and use SpywareBlaster... Is it OK to keep my router on?

Thanks for your help!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio