SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carlylake

Kitchen Aid oven problem again -need help from other owners.

carlylake
15 years ago

Hi All,

This post is again concerning my Kitchen Aid oven, and the problem I'm having with the broil element coming on during baking, over-browning/burning the food.

This oven has a bread-proofing feature. I tried it once and it didn't seem to work, but since I don't proof bread higher than room temp. it didn't matter to me.

However, this morning I thought I'd try it again. I called KA and asked "at what temperature should the oven be at for bread proofing?"...and was told 100 degrees.

So I set the oven to the bread-proofing mode, (reads 100 degres) with three different thermometers inside (not oven thermometers, since they don't record as low as 100 degrees) but probe-type, which I've found to be very accurate for measuring oven temperatues.

After about 15 minutes I checked and there was no rise in temperature.....at 30 minutes, about 2 degrees higher...and finally, after an hour and a half, it was up to 98 degrees.

This doesn't sound right to me. I suspect there's something wrong with the lower (bake) element. So could I ask those of you who have the same oven please test your breadproofing mode and see how long it takes to get up to, or near, 100 degrees.

BTW, I had a serciveman here from Maytag Quaker here this morning who tested to see that all elements were functioning. He told me that everything was working fine. He said the upper (broil) element is supposed to cycle on and off during in the bake mode....and there is nothing that can be done about it. He didn't test the bread-proofing mode first, (he should have), and of course since the oven was already hot he couldn't test it properly after it had been heated to 350 degrees. I was very unhappy with this person, he was quite unpleasant and very argumentive, and I called KA to complain. They offered to send out a repairman from a different company, who is coming on Friday.

I'm hoping that the problem is related to the very slow heating of the oven for the bread-proofing. It will be a great help to me if others can verify that their KA ovens are the same, or not.

Thanks,

Carly

Comments (3)