SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashli_gw

The most appreciated (and cheapest) gift I've ever gave...

ashli
16 years ago

My husband is like a kid when it comes to opening gifts...every Christmas he receives some kind of toy(S)...our daughter gave him a motorized truck last year...and a talking duck, to name a few...He laughs at silly gag gifts. The past 5 years hasn't been too kind to him health-wise...Four years ago, the doctors wanted me to agree to take him off life support...won't mention all the sickness/operations he's been through, but I hope none of you have witnessed anyone suffering from septic shock.

He was away from home six and a half months, in hospitals and rehab. He is a walking miracle.

Anyway, last year, just before Christmas, I was sorting out stacks and stacks of old photos...when the idea struck...I bought a nice, small but thick photo album...on the first few pages, are displays of when he was a child/ teenager, and his parents/ sisters and brothers...the next pages are of us when we were dating...then married, him with our daughter at different ages...special occasions, a cut out from a newspaper when he received "employee of the year" award. Then photos of his struggle to walk again. From a wheelchair to a walker to a cane to walking on his own. etcs.

I thought that I would wait until after the gifts were opened and we had ate to present him with the unwrapped album. He was relaxed in his recliner and I held the album behind my back as I approached...(I'm sure he was expecting a gag gift of some sort)...I presented it like Ralph Edwards would...Anyone remember him?...I'm giving my age away...really I was only an infant when I saw him on TV...ha... "This Is Your Life..."...

It was "touching" to see his reaction as he looked at the pages and said, "I didn't know that you were going to do this." That was one "gift" that wasn't tossed aside.

I think of photographs as chapters of our lives.

Sometimes, maybe it is the thought that counts.

Wishing all of you nice and safe holidays.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm
More Discussions