SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tamster_gw

Does anyone have experience w/ shower surrounds?

tamster
13 years ago

Hi and help! Our master shower was not put in properly (terrible grout job) and the lower right joint has popped both the wall and back tiles, exposing a hole at the corner. We're thinking a fiberglass (or acrylic etc) surround will work for us rather than ripping the whole thing out and ever risking tile leakage again. I'll never find matching tiles if we try to simply repair the hole, and ripping out the whole shower including around the shower face will make a bigger mess than I'm prepared to deal with (emotionally or financially).

The model we're considering (Swanstone) adheres directly to the existing tiles. We know we have to clean the existing space (TSP? Muriatic?). The surround however, does not reach all the way to the ceiling. If we regrout the upper tiles and the ceiling, use marine caulk on low-water-exposure joints up above the surround, and then expoxy/pool paint the ceiling and top tiles, we're hoping this will work. Does anyone have any experience with "glue to the wall" surrounds? The bathfitter solution was WAY out of our budget, and I'd rather never have to retile this shower again...

Anything anyone can offer would be very appreciated! Thanks, Tammi in NJ

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH