SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zagyzebra_gw

Gothic OR Zen??

zagyzebra
12 years ago

I am the proud owner of a home in the Hollywood Hills that was built like a small version of a European castle in 1931. When I bought it (17 years ago), I'll admit I was into gothic, punk, etc., and putting a knight in a suit of armor in the turret suited me just fine...back then.

Well, I still love my little castle but my taste has changed over the years to a more zen style with clean lines and a minimal look.

It is time for a bathroom makeover, and I actually feel guilty about deviating from the gothic, romantic style of the house to a bath style of something more simple and zen. Whereas I should put in a claw foot tub, chandelier with baubles, and a gilded mirror, I WANT stone and glass tile, a brushed stainless Japanese soaker, a waterfall spout and wall-mounted toilet and sink.

Somebody tell me it's okay NOT to design according to the style of my home. It's so uniquely gothic that I feel almost trapped to mimic the style throughout the house, even though I don't want to. Can you tell I'm in conflict?

Comments (8)