SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flseadog

marble shower tiles absorbing water along grout lines

flseadog
14 years ago

We are not on speaking terms with the man who did all of our tile and stone work in our new build--I can't begin to tell you what a bad subcontractor can do, or not do, as the case may be---so I can't ask him if he sealed the tile or the grout. The polished calacatta marble for our master bath shower was such a great deal, less than some of the porcelain tile we used, that I decided to use it despite my misgivings about maintenance and my total lack of experience with stone of any kind. Today the shower was wet for the first time since it was installed. I was in the new house wiping down every surface because we have so much construction dust and dirt over everything that I don't want to move in until I know the house is clean. I used the hand shower to spray down the shower walls and then wiped them all with a micro fiber cloth. About five minutes later I noticed that all of the marble tiles were a bit gray along the grout line and all I can think is that they were absorbing water from the wet grout. Is this normal? Is this bad? If it is bad what should I do about it? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments (8)