SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twobengalsandme

One of those, 'does this bid sound about right' questions

twobengalsandme
15 years ago

Got the first bid for my tile work yesterday. I'm in the Mtn west area. As part of my whole house remodel, I'm getting about 510 square feet of California Gold slate laid. This is split between an entry, a laundry room, 2 small baths, and a master bath. Also includes building a custom shower enclosure of the same material or a porcelain tile look-alike. The shower has a floor to ceiling curved glass block wall about 4' wide, and another 2' wide straight glass block wall. The inside of the shower would be tiled, of course, floor to ceiling, and the ceiling tiled. An odd shaped, kind of open shower, with a sort of entry vestibule and a 4'x4' actual shower area. Also included in the bid is the kitchen backsplash labor but not material since I haven't decided on that yet, and master bath detail. In addition, a 55' long by 8" wide ledge in my sunroom would be covered in slate, as well as some detail on two sets of steps leading into it. (Sorry for the length of the post, but I'm getting there)

So, bid for all prep work, labor and materials for the whole job came in at about 20K. This is from a well respected, high end tile place, which is what I'm looking for. When I asked about shower construction detail, they said that they were old fashioned and used mud,backerboard, etc., rather than membrane systems like Kerdi.

Anyway, any of you tile guys want to give me a rough idea if this in in the ballpark moneywise. I am going to get another bid or two, but these guys have a good reputation.

Thanks

Comments (4)