SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gdw65

Does this sound right? (Tile question)

Gabe
9 years ago

We had a custom tiled shower installed as part of our complete home renovation. Existing bathroom was completely removed and rebuilt, including the studs. It's a walk-in, about 3' x 6' (small bathroom).

We're 95% done, and I just checked the shower. The are pockets of the tiled floor that are lower than the drain, and obviously hold water. That was the last straw with the tile guy, and I told our contractor that I had no faith in his ability to fix that. One of the (many) other tile issues in the bathroom is that the junction between the 2x2" tile floor and the 3x6" subway tile wall is not straight. It looks like a toddler tried to draw a line with a crayon.

Today the contractor told me what the new tile guy has in mind to fix it: he said that removing the tile floor completely, along with the first row of subway tile, will compromise the integrity of the waterproofing of the shower wall and floor. Instead, he wants to remove the first row of subway tile, 'scuff up' the existing tile floor (leaving the tile in place), apply a layer of mastic on the existing tile floor, and then place another layer of tile on top of that.

He said that by doing it this way, he can fix the drainage issue as well as the aesthetics of the floor/wall junction. I said I'd research it.

I did, and what I've seen is that mastic is an organic compound, and any exposure to moisture can create mold, etc. My hesitation is that if he does it this way, the mastic between two layers of floor tile will act like a 'potential space', just waiting for a crack in the top grout layer, and then eat our shower away from beneath.

Full disclosure, I know nothing about tiling, just what I've been reading the last couple months, and specifically tonight re mastic.

Has anyone ever heard of fixing a shower this way? What's the industry standard on something like this? Will I be setting myself up for failure once my 1-yr warranty (on the build) runs out if i use mastic?

Thanks so much in advance for any insight!

Comments (5)