SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myrtle_59

Question about tile quality and brands, Also grout

myrtle_59
13 years ago

I am redoing a small bath. I would like subway tile around the tub/shower and perhaps carrera basketweave on the floor, or maybe a small oldfashioned hex.

This is a bath that is used every day so things need to wear well, stand up to moisture, floor not be slippery etc. I don't want to remodel it in my lifetime (say 25 years).

I had never thought about quality of tile til I read someone say they got the cheaper subway ... I am having a contractor do this. What tile/brand do I want? What difference does quality make? What should I look for, what should I specify. I want to compare bids so I want it to be apples to apples and I want the job to last.

My husband is concerned that somehow water will get behind the tile around the shower/tub. Is there something I should specify about this. I think the contractors are pretty good and should know but ...

Also, I do have a life and don't want/well heck wouldn't spend my life cleaning and sealing grout. What color would look good on the white subway around tub/maybe walls to a certain height and what would look good on the floor. The only mold I ever see in the bathroom is a pink stuff on the shower curtain sometimes but I hate the look of dirty grout.

Thanks for your experience.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022