SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mopet

Questions about grout, sealer and tile enhancer

Maureen Petrilli
14 years ago

We're in the middle of a master bath renovation and this board has been helpful! A while back, we did a kitchen remodel that included a split face natural stone tile backsplash. Intent was to forgo grout to keep the look of the split face tile,but the tile guy didn't comprehend this due to a language barrier. By the time I got home, the tile was completed grouted-- not the look I wanted! I think we used a Stone tech product to seal the tile, and while I was told it would also enhance a bit, it really didn't change the tone at all.

I would like to get the order of enhancer, grout and seal right this time. Our field tile for the master bath is porcelain, same for the floor tile, but there will be a decorative border made from natural stone. I have yet to decide on a grout color, and may also decide to use an enhancer on the border (stone) tiles. When is the right time to enhance that border? It's being installed as I type, and I have a few days to decide on grout color. I was thinking I'd have to enhance now before they start grouting.

Also, is there a rule of thumb when it comes to choosing grout color? I had horrible white grout before, really bad wide grout lines, and I want to avoid that this time around.

I am sure I will have more questions

Thanks!

Comments (3)