SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zoenipp

Please advise re: fitting new pro-style range into existing kitch

zoenipp
15 years ago

Hi, I need advice from the kitchen/appliance experts on this forum. We are currently looking to replace the entry-level electric coil-top range (UGH!) in our beach condo with an LP-gas range. We are in the process of having the kitchen plumbed for LP as I write. We spend about 3 months time here each year at most but I really look forward to cooking on a gas range here as I do at home. Because the kitchen gets limited use, we hate to make a huge investment and would like to keep range cost at around $3K. The condo is located on the southern Outer Banks of NC; service on the more exotic brands will also be an issue so I'd like to choose a somewhat trouble-free model. We have slowly been remodeling the kitchen, painting existing cabs, replacing hardware, replacing existing appliances, and adding new countertops. It is a galley kitchen, small but efficient.

I've slowly narrowed the choices down, based on internet shopping, to the following units on which I can get a price in the $3K range:

DCS range (specifically LP) with 5-burner top ($3099)

Bertazzoni (LP conversion) ($2599)

Thermador Pro-Harmony (LP-specific) $3299

Of course my first choice based on this list would be the DCS. It is available at an overstock price with free shipping and no tax and provides five burners. However, I am now looking at the range's dimensions and its depth is deeper than our cabinets/countertops. The same issue would also exist with Bluestar or American and these brands are more exotic to NC. Either the Thermador Pro-Harmony or Berta would be a flush installation (counters are 25" deep). The range will be located at the top of the U-shaped kitchen if that makes sense. The DCS range doors would extend 26.75" (1.75" beyond counter) and the handle adds another 2". We have measured the surrounding drawers/cab doors on the perpendicular walls of the kitchen and all door/drawers would be accessible, albeit tight to open.

I guess my question is this: will the DCS look bizarre sitting forward from the cabs by this much? It is our first choice but it does have to fit into the existing space. Replacing cabs/countertops is not an option. Has anyone ever seen a kitchen set-up with a protruding range? Will it make the kitchen feel "tight"?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm