SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
always_beezee

Hard drive or video card

always_beezee
12 years ago

Last night I was working on 'old laptop' (HP Pavilion dv9408, Windows 7, password protected) and the monitor started to fade from lower right to upper left then went blank. The computer shut off and came right back on and kept doing this. I took my stethoscope and was listening to the computer. Did not hear any 'clicking'. I then shut off computer by holding the power on button down, which it did.

This morning I took the 'old hard drive' and put it in the 'new laptop' (HP Pavilion dv9910, Vista, no password protected) in the second drive bay. I wanted to see if the 'old hard drive' was still working. The 'new laptop' sees the hard drive (name and model), I'm able to open folders (user, program files, Preflogs, Windows). When I open the User folder, I can see and open always-beezee folder and the sub folders. So my conclusion is that the 'old hard drive' is working.

Is it worth while to change bios boot order and "really check to make sure drive is working"? I'm a little bit worried about doing that.

How do you check to see if the video card is working? I suppose I could swap them to see if it is working.

Thank You, Bernie.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath