SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

What does a 'cracked' foundation look like?

loves2read
16 years ago

This is not about a newly poured foundation for a new build. We have crossed that off our list.

We will probably complete purchase of home on re-sale market and put our 25 yr old house up for sale in a month or so after we have done some minor repairs...but

I have noticed while doing yard work some things that make me nervous...

for instance...1) on the front porch where the door sill meets the concrete of the porch there is line of concrete or mortar that has cracked and is loose---there are no cracks what so ever in the brick front of the entry--none around the door frame or the top window or sidelights...the door operates smoothly and there are no cracks in the tile in the front entry hall...is that something to worry about--necessary to have repaired before home is put up for sale--or just a minor age-related problem--more cosmetic, than structural?

2) I noticed today when I was hooking up the water hose to the bib on front side yard (so we could put sod where the shade has killed the Bermuda) that where the concrete foundation and the brick meet there is the black vapor barrier or whatever they used back then---some of it has flaked away after all this time so there is just brick and concrete...and there is line/crack horizontally there where brick and concrete meet---but no cracks in brick mortar or vertical/diagonal cracks in concrete foundation...so what does that mean---that it will get worse...that the foundation is shifting or just surface, cosmetic blemish that is not sign of big problem...

I know --- I might try to post some pictures of what I am talking about--but I was an English teacher--I should have excellent powers of description...

We had a sprinkler system installed when the house was built and try to water evenly and not overwater---we have had bad drought last couple of years and had to water less frequently but try for longer times to encourage the grass to deepen its root system...

on that side of the house, we have lots of shade from 2 mature pecan trees shielding a large bed of Asian jasmine, some nandina and a yupon that is about 10 ft tall...I did not go around the house to see if there is a line all way around...we have always tried to keep the mulch and ground cover away from the foundation line and weep holes...

The only interior cracks that I have noticed are one where the drywall tape has separated a little from the sheetrock panels on the ceiling--just in two rooms--and each is only about 2-3 inches long...

We have one bedroom door that sticks but there is no crack around the framing in or our of that room....

I guess I am afraid that when/if home is purchaed the inspector might say we have foundation problems which will scare away the buyer and be an expense to repair we don't want to do...but I don't want to call out an engineer if there is nothing to worry about either...

Comment (1)