SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anontemp123

Sealing cracks/holes in foundation, siding, and interior walls

anontemp123
8 years ago

I'm confused about what products to buy to fill exterior and interior cracks and holes. Every time I visit Home Depot, I'm given different advice. (Even by the same individual on subsequent visits!) The wires you see in the pictures are just acting as placeholders; I will remove all wires when sealing.

I've attached a picture of all the products that have been recommended to me for exterior sealing.

As shown in the second picture, some of the interior holes are through the siding, while other are through the foundation. (Please ignore that attempt at foam, that was many months ago. I knew even less then.)

The third picture shows various holes and cracks on the exterior, again both through the siding and foundation.

Someone recommended hydraulic cement for the larger foundation crack (rightmost in that picture.) Another said that hydraulic cement doesn't have flex that other materials have. But the hydraulic cement guy then said the block foundation is hollow, so the flexible material won't work like it would for poured concrete foundations. I don't know what to think.

For the holes through the siding, I'm thinking about sealing from the outside (not sure how.) Then foam the space between the siding and drywall. And then let the drywall folks patch the interior hole. Or could I just use a Spackling and Nail Hole Filler on the interior?

A structural engineer has confirmed that none of the foundation cracks are serious in nature.

I'd appreciate any guidance.

Comments (7)