SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
indy452

Cheap computer and 'virtual Memory ' probs plz help!

indy452
16 years ago

O.k first of all, Thanks to any responders and on lookers.

I appreciate any help with these issues I'm having.

I bought a used Gateway W/XP home edition from my school district and I'm having a couple of issues I don't seem to know the solution to.

This machine is rather compact so performance is probably low at best but I do know it has 398Mhz with 128mb ram, 38.3GB on drive C: hope that helps.

I use this computer for internet and to load and store pictures from our new digital camera which I upload to photobucket on a regular basis but I still keep lots of pics in "my pictures".

One problem I seem to be having is I get a yellow triangle message in the lower right hand corner of the browser saying "windows virtual memory too low" It says its adjusting the paging size or something or another. This happens at least once a day while I'm on it. What can I do to help this machine run more efficiently?

I went to the properties on "my computer" and clicked the advanced tab, went to performance settings and went to advanced from there I clicked the "change" button in virtual memory and it says that "custom" has been checked. It says it has 192Mb initial and 384 MB max size. The current allocated size says 208Mb. Does this all sound O.K? I did not change any settings I'm just asking if I should? What do you folks think?

Thanks, Neal

Comments (8)