SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rrcrossing

Slow Computer Fix

rrcrossing
15 years ago

Several months ago I noticed my primary computer was slowing. Clicking on a desktop icon for WordPerfect or Quattro Pro would take 15 seconds for the program to open. Also, cloning with Acronis went from 32 minutes to just under 4 hours.

I'm running Windows XP with service pack 2, 1 gig ram, 180 gig hard drive with 150 gig free, 2.49 Ghz. I've increased virtual memory to 1.5 gig. I'm using AVG 8 Free, Zone Alarm, SuperAntiSpyWare, Spy Bot, and Ad-A-Ware. Updated all and run. I've also defragged, run the check disk, checked task manager for unneeded stuff and no improvement.

In addition, couple days ago it started asking on boot which user I am. Screaming at it that I'm the only user dosen't seem to help.

I'm retired but not retarded, although at times I wonder, but I simply could not find anything to fix the problem. That is until today. On another computer forum I stumbled across a piece of advice which I tried tonight, while mumbling a prayer.

Here's the procedure:

Right click on MY COMPUTER

Select HARDWARE tab

Select DEVICE MANAGER

Expand the IDE ATA/ATADI controller group

Double click PRIMARY IDE CHANNEL

Select the ADVANCED SETTINGS tab

What is the currect transfer mode for Device 0?

If the mode is set to PIO select the DRIVER tab and click uninstall

This will uninstall the driver and reboot the system. Upon restart the driver will be replaced and you should be using the correct setting.

The good news is that it worked. Wordperfect and Quattro now open in 1 to 3 seconds. Acronis now clones in 27 minutes. As a bonus I guess, that WHO ARE YOU USER account opening has disappeared.

Don't know how my computer got changed but if I ever find the grandson that did it I'll break his little fingers.

Hope this helps those that need help.

Bob

Central Arizona

Comments (4)