SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

My Halloween Decs Are Finally Up!!

lynninnewmexico
14 years ago

My sweet 15 y/o DD has inherited my love of decorating and has suddenly morphed into a mini Martha Stewart . . . and a very bossy one at that ;^D

She told me that since she loves Halloween much more than I do these days, she could do a better job putting up our decs this year. She also warned me NOT to mess with her designs, so it's actually Emily's show this year. What can I say? I love to encourage her creativity :~)

I love books and have accumulated a quite a collection of holiday kids' books over the years. I like to decorate using them as much as possible. Sorry that I don't have many of the lights on, as it was still to bright for them to show up when I took these this morning.

Our Ghost-Eye Tree was originally my Johnny Appleseed tree. During my many years as room mom for both my kids, I had their classes make these little kleenex & cotton ball ghosts. I saved my own kids' creations and use them every year. Emily liked the copper pot the tree was in; I like Karen's idea of using a pumpkin much better.

{{gwi:1441903}}

My Halloween quilt that my bestfriend (BF) made for me some years ago. Emily has it thumbtacked to the inside of our front door. Wait till DH sees the holes :~O

{{gwi:1441904}}

A cute little Halloween picture frame that I found at TJ Maxx. That's a pic of DD in her Autumn costume I made her a few years back. This is on our Family room mantel:

{{gwi:1441905}}

My BF made this dec for me, too. She's a home ec teacher and so darn talented!

{{gwi:1441907}}

On top of the hutch in our foyer, Emily has another Halloween book along with two ceramics I painted back before I was even married. I think they're about 27 years old now.

{{gwi:1441908}}

Close up of my scarecrow:

{{gwi:1441910}}

And of my witch:

{{gwi:1434889}}

{{gwi:1434888}}

My little ghost boy that I painted, that same year. I love him! BTW, if you haven't seen Jack Prelutsky's "It's Halloween" book, get it. It's got the most wonderful Halloween poems and drawings in it. It's probably our all-time favorite Halloween book.

"It's Halloween! It's Halloween!

The moon is full and bright

And we shall see what can't be seen

On any other night:

Skeletons and ghosts and ghouls,

Grinning goblins fighting duels,

Werewolves rising from their tombs,

Witches on their magic brooms.

In masks and gowns

we haunt the street

And knock on doors

for trick or treat.

Tonight we are

the king and queen,

For oh tonight

it's Halloween!"

{{gwi:1441913}}

Of course, I LOVE my cousin Kathy's book, too. This one just came out in time for last Halloween. It's more for the toddler and preschooler.

{{gwi:1441915}}

Black Cat luminaria:

{{gwi:1441917}}

Mummy Candleholder, from HL last year. Look at the trim on the top of it. Talk about a fire accident waiting to happen! This one gets a battery powered candle in it ONLY !

{{gwi:1441919}}

Another Room Mother project of mine: Frankenstein (& Scary Cat) luminarias made out of gallon milk bottles. This one went over very well with the kids. You add 2" of sand and a votive candle to these:

{{gwi:1441921}}

Two more wall hangings my BF made me over the years:

{{gwi:1441923}}

{{gwi:1441925}}

DD also pulled out the black pot from our St.Patrick's Day box and turned it into a scary lit cauldron. But, it's still too light out for me to take a good pic of it. I'll try to get that one tonight .

Lynn

Comments (17)

Sponsored
More Discussions