SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mountmerkel

Feedback on Final Plan, Elevation and "architectural feature"

mountmerkel
10 years ago

Hello,
We are close to signing the final contract with our builder, and I just wanted to post our final plan and elevation to see if I am missing any glaring issues that will make my life miserable for years to come :-). This forum has influenced me a lot in designing our house, and I really value all of your advice.

Relevant details: young couple with one baby (hope to have 2-3 more). Building on a family farm. The lot slopes to the south and east with views facing south. We live in the frosty north (PA) so I want to maximize sun in the most important rooms. Main section of the house will have cathedral ceilings in the living/dining area and a loft to the west side. BR/BA on the west side will be a guest room and possible in-law suite in the future. Kids' bedrooms will be in the walk-out basement on the east end, which my husband will finish himself over the next couple of years.

As an aside, note that the wall between the mudroom and basement stairwell is denoted as a knee wall. This was my husband's idea. He thinks it will be an interesting architectural feature that will let light into the stairwell and "I'll thank him for it". I'm not really sure what the purpose is, but can you think of any major pros/cons to consider?

Thanks in advance for all your help along the way!

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio