SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
disbet

What to live in while building?

disbet
15 years ago

My husband and I are trying to decide to what live in while building a house. We can't sell our current house for another year because of capital gains tax. But, we have 168 acres way out in the country that we would like to build on. We've just about settled on a house plan. We haven't decided yet if we'll stay in our current house or build something out there to live in while we're building. My husband will be doing nearly all the work on the new house, so it will probably take a couple of years to be completed. The property is 35 minutes away from town, and has no buildings on it currently. We've thought about building a pole barn with an apartment/living space and converting it to an office after we get the house built. Also thought about the garage/apartment situation. Also considering a single-wide trailer. A garage or barn has to be built so he can store tools before the house is built Any experiences with any of these?

We are 26 and don't have kids, but plan to within the next couple of years. The main tract of the property, 141 acres was inherited and is ours free and clear. The adjoining 27 acres we just bought (it has a better building site) is mortgaged, but we could get a construction loan to build.

Also, there is no zoning in our county. We will have to put in a septic first.

Thanks.

Comments (4)