SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stooxie

Bluestar RNB versus Commerical Vuclan V series

stooxie
12 years ago

Hey everyone,

I just spent the last 5 hours cooking in a commercial kitchen for 50 people on a Vulcan V series range (28,000 BTU burners according to spec). I had two woks going at full blast, making dry mushroom duxelles, a balsamic onion reduction, and a few other things as well.

The burners on the Vulcan were round with removable caps, lots of holes around the outside, a couple rows around the inside.

Here are some conclusions I have come to:

1. The 22K star burners on my Bluestar heated up a wok faster-- no question. Having used now "both" styles I am more than convinced that the Garland style star shape is the way to go.

2. The Vulcan is definitely a non nonsense device! Spartan is an understatement. It puts out lots of flame, you don't ask it to do much else.

3. I appreciate my Bluestar about 3X as much as I already did. My Bluestar feels just like the commercial range. Heavy as all get out, no nonsense, burners the belch forth the fires of hell, all business looks, all business performance.

4. The Bluestar's enameled interior and indicator lights are "residential" changes. The Vulcan was 100% stainless steel everywhere but the grates (raw cast iron) and the knobs.

5. I am very happy I configured my Bluestar the way I did: burners on the left and right of a 24" French cooktop. The Vulcan, with six burners on the top, was crowded. I was using 12" woks and I could barely fit the two together. The Vulcan was adjacent to a Vulcan convection oven next to it, so that didn't help.

6. I wished the Vulcan had removable top grates like the Bluestar. That's a very handy feature and would have been used tonight if available.

All in all it was a fantastic experience, one that I will repeat in a few months. I very much appreciate that the Bluestar IS the closest thing one is going to get to a commercial range for the home.

-Stooxie

Comments (8)