SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bettyd_z7_va

I need a system for storage - help please!!!!

bettyd_z7_va
14 years ago

Since I found this forum and got addicted I have amassed so much stuff and have run out of room to store it.

Therefore, I have no idea what I have.

I have no attic, basement, or shed/garage. I can probably find another china cabinet at the GW, on Craig's list or somewhere, but I need to hear some ideas on where you store what.

What I'm REALLY asking for here is - an organizational system to get the junk (I mean supplies) together in groups so I know what color and how many caldles/candleholders, I have and where they are, the same with napkins, tablecloths, chargers, placemats, tablerunners, etc, etc. I just need to figure out dedicated places for everything so I can find them.

If you have a system that works for you, PLEASE share the details. I don't know what I have and I'm tired of the mess!!!

I Love you all and need you now!

Betty

Comments (19)

• bettyd_z7_va
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

P.S. If you have a special cabinet you found that works great for linens or if you've designed a great closet, any special tricks you have, I would love to see pictures.

I'm ready to go get some wood and a hammer and try to build a special closet, but I am "creative" challenged and need to SEE it before I can do it.

DH is sooo willing to help, but he is a beginner, too.

I KNOW how talented and creative y'all are and that you can help me.

Thanks again,

Betty

• melvalena
    14 years ago

Betty,
    Here are some ideas I use, which aren't perfect but work somewhat for me until I figure out something else.

1. most of my table cloths are folded and placed in a rubbermaid bin in the garage. Some are hung on hangers and hang in the coat closet, all my runners are hung in there too.
    2. I have several see-through bins that I keep all like colors together, which are stacked in a closet. (red, blue, pink, purple, white)
    3. Seasonal stuff is all in marked bins in the garage. So far I only have Thanksgiving & Christmass. This year I'm adding one for fall stuff and come Easter I'll have enough for an Easter Bin too.

4. Candles I keep in under the bed storage containers so I don't run the risk of them 'bleeding' on other stuff. If they're colored I keep them wrapped in layers of papertowels so they don't bleed over to other candles.

I have seen some blogs where ladies take one closet and put shelves in it top to bottom to load up their goodies.

I hope this helps you some.
    Seems I'm always finding something I forgot I had! Or looking for something I know I have but don't know where I put it!

for a while, we rented a storage unit where I put most everything but the table cloths and candles. When I needed something I would go and pull it out of storage. We had a lot of other stuff in that storage unit too.. it wasn't all for my 'stuff'!
    We've now moved into a bigger house and I have enough storage for just about everything except the camping gear--that's in a utility trailer stored at the same place we had our storage unit.

Soon I'll have EVERYTHING here at home. :)

• Related Discussions

I need information /advice about systemic granules please

Q

Comments (12)
    I thank the three of you for your respones. Green when I read your reply about Brain Tumors and Nerve Gas it stiffled my desire to attempt to use the granules. That sounds like an awful thing to have to go through. I want to free my plants of pests but don't want to sacrifice myself in the process. Watergal I was looking for a way to fight off spider mites. DenverPlants suggests using granules after spraying the infected plant with Safer's insecticidal soap. They don't say which granules to use. I am glad I asked here before tying to buy them and use them in the home. Is there anything else that you can recommend that I use. I have sprayed the plants with a homeade remedy of dish liquid and water but I'm not as consistant with the misting as I should be I guess. I was looking for something more potent . Something that I could apply once and awhile that would kill the mites and wouldn't require me to spray every few days. Talpa thanks so much . Grice
    ...See More

Remodeling Hallway - Need storage system for mops, carts- ironing

Q

Comments (0)
    My manhattan apartment has a 12 feet hall from end of kitchen to back exit where we now have to store ironing board, shopping cart, step stool, etc. I'm looking for a very modern perhaps stainless steel organizing system where I can hang these things. Found EZ Wall Organizer but the design is not good. Thanks for any help.
    ...See More

Need help with Water Storage tank

Q

Comments (8)
    I am relatively certain that, legally, you can not do it in this simple way. You are not allowed to connect a tank to the municipal water supply in a way that it may drain back into their system if there is a pressure drop. You should be in the plumbing forum. I am no plumber and I am not that familiar with the plumbing code, but you might be able to fill your tank from the top with a pipe or hose that can not under any circumstances be submerged. It is quite likely that you are required to have some sort of lockout device to prevent mixing of your tank water with the municipal supply at the outlet of your tank. A simple T is not going to do it. Assuming that the local authorities will approve a water-hoarding system at all, you might need to have a parallel distribution system in your home.
    ...See More

NEED HELP WITH GREENHOUSE BUILDING ELECTRIC SYSTEM! PLEASE!

Q

Comments (2)
    Is this a request for assistance with a greenhouse or a green house? Some of the terms used led me to believe that you wish for someone to research for you an electrical system and appliances for a house that is environmentally superior. On the other hand, this is a forum for glass houses and garden sheds. Please enlighten us further as to your needs.
    ...See More
  • valleymagpie
    14 years ago

Betty,

One place that people seem to overlook (I didn't realize it until recently) is entry and hall "coat closets." They usually have just one shelf above the pole and you can easily fit at least one more. You might also be able to lower the clothes rod. I am doing that in my entry closet and my small guest room closet--two more shelves for my stuff!

Like Melvalena I keep lots of stuff in bins, but I have a big first-floor storage area (not big enough...) I do have a large picnic basket (which is too rickety to use--it's just for decor) on top of the cabinets in the kitchen which holds Christmas linens.

As far as organization, I am in the middle of redoing mine, because my first system isn't working. I'm looking for smaller plastic boxes to hold all or most of the items for one particular area (such as the mantel). I think this system will work better, especially for putting things away, since you know they will fit the box you got them out of! Before I just had each season's stuff jumbled into big bins and even though they were labeled I had to paw through them to see what was there and whether I would use it this year. I'll let everyone know if this works better.

I also take pictures of things and put them in a simple database in my computer (this may be going too far). I have long kept an inventory of things on the computer so it's nothing new for me.

The last thing I'm doing in this area is using decorative boxes to store little things such as napkin rings because boxes can stack and will take up less room. I mean, we have to clear space for the new stuff, right?

- Magpie

• yachter123
    14 years ago

Hi Betty, I have a basement with storage shelves & bins along every wall on one side of the basement, and still am NOT organized!!!

Ok, since you don't have a basement, Magpie had a great suggestion. Try to use everyday furniture to store things in. Do you have a chest or cedar chest, then designate that for decor storage. Also, benches that have lift up seats, under the bed storage bins, for linens and flat things.

Also, many years ago, like Magpie said, my husband put in a second shelf in every closet in our home. The headspace in them is a real waste if you do not take advantage of it with a second shelf.

It's the larger items that I have a problem storing, those are usually the biggest challenge, vases, huge roosters etc. Right now they take up alot of room on my basement shelves!

I have not exploded onto the main floor YET, but it could happen at any time! LOL

I have a cedar chest in every bedroom & they can be great for storing these things.

• plainjane425
    14 years ago

Hi Betty...all good suggestions by everyone here.
    It's hard with no basement/attic and does limit storage space. Outside of attic/garage/basement... In my front hallway, I have a Buffet (you've pob seen in some of my pictures)... I've got a couple of drawers with sections. They hold candles/napkin rings, and napkins. A larger/longer drawer holds placemats. These are things I use frequently. In the lower portion -which has 2 doors, there is an upper shelf..I keep Chargers and small Candlesticks. Lower area, I keep Glass Hurricanes and Larger Candlesticks. Also a couple of boxes with Pillar Candles (standing up). In my living room, I've got a small chest of drawers. This holds Christmas items... Napkins, rolled placemats, runners. The bottom drawer holds Christmas candles. I also have extra shelving in Linen closet for Tablecloths, and napkins. Some tablecloths (larger ones) I put on hangers in upstairs closet.
    I do use my attic to keep Marked Bins for other seasonal things. I was able to pickup from KMart shelving units on clearance. I keep them in my attic for small clear bins.

Now, here's a tip...
    This very weekend, DH and I went to an unfinished furniture shop. (Wood Bin). I wanted another storage/buffet cabinet for the DR. He wanted to make it...but I didn't want to wait..I wanted it NOW. They were having a sale. I was looking for a small cabinet..but DH spotted a great unfinished HUTCH 30x72" with Shelves and two doors with an interior shelf for $238 tax included!! I snapped that baby up!! I had him paint it Black and destress it and put a wood stain over the distressed areas. (it 's drying as I write). It looks like a beautiful Antique piece. Best part, it will hold MORE goodies.
    So shop around, there's always space to tuck in one of these babies...even if it's a small cabinet. They even have unfinished furniture places online. You can just refinish it with stain or paint it yourself. Many of them have Free Shipping too. Can't go wrong. Good Luck Betty.

jane

• hi2all
    14 years ago

Betty, I feel for you...

Before we moved here, I had the same problem. I know you don't have a shed, so this probably wouldn't work, but thought I'd throw it out there. Maybe it will give you an idea. I used metal and heavy plastic trash cans to store my stuff in an outbuilding. Much better than cardboard, or even the big plastic tubs, some of which can become brittle due to extreme temperature changes. Some of my plastic cans had little holes by the handles. I covered these with duct tape. It was such a pleasure not to have to worry about creepy-crawlies or anything else getting in. I even stored pillows and throws this way. Completely dust free, and ready to go right out of the cans.

The only thing I didn't store there was the obvious things, like candles. I did learn to be sure and take the batteries out of displays. You can probably guess how I found this out. lol

I even had one trashcan that was on wheels -- whee, that was great. Just roll it right to the house. Even fully decorated table top trees will fit down inside. (Can you tell I am sort of lazy?) I used storage containers for my Christmas dishes and left them out, too. I made notes of what was stored in each can.

Good luck. You will think of something.
    Lee

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

Betty,
    I am of no help..I showed a pic of my basement a few weeks ago! It will be an all winter project...and if I live long enough to finish it, I will show it! :)

Jane can't wait to see your new cabinet. I know..NOW...tired of waiting..time's a wasting!
    Do show us!

• valleymagpie
    14 years ago

Lee,

What a great idea, storing your big things in trash cans (especially the ones with the wheels). Maybe, Betty, you can find a place for a trash can (with locking lid) outside, like under a deck or something (that's where mine's going, when I get it). Or maybe you can nudge out a spot near where you store your trash cans now (just be sure not to wheel it out to the street!)

And I'm with Yachter--don't feel bad because I'm another one who actually has a lot of storage space and I'm still not organized...it takes time.

- Magpie

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Betty, since I have stuff stored in various closets, under our bed, in the garage, and in a small storage shed out back...I easily forgot what was where! Not to mention what I even had. So I did the same as Mags does,

"I also take pictures of things and put them in a simple database in my computer (this may be going too far). I have long kept an inventory of things on the computer so it's nothing new for me."

Its a huge help to me to do this. Especially as I tend to lose things now with a short-term memory loss problem. (a Fibromyalgia symptom).

hugs, Karen

• valleymagpie
    14 years ago

Betty,

I thought of something else that I have seen many times in magazines. In general, I can't do it because my windows are too close to the ceiling. But if you have clearance above your windows and you have a suitable decorating style, you can put shelves above your windows. You could either store some vases or dishes there or put something else there and free up space below. Check out some country magazines, I'm sure they will have some pictures.

Karen, I'm glad someone else keeps an inventory (not that mine is totally up to date). I tend to forget the little things I have and it is a great help to see pictures of what I have before I have to make the journey to the basement and start opening boxes.

- Magpie

• hi2all
    14 years ago

Betty,

I thought of another storage space I still use. Round end tables with floor length fabric cloths on them. You know the ones I mean? I think they call them decorator tables. I even did this with an old rectangular kitchen table. Lots of room under there -- and best of all, you don't see the storage boxes.

Magpie, the trash cans as storage are a good solution. Before I had a building to put them in, I had a couple in an out-of-view sheltered area. As added security, I put one of those cheap tarps over them and secured it with a bungee cord. If you get those on wheels, an added bonus is no lifting and carrying those heavy totes.

Lee

• bettyd_z7_va
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you ALL for the suggestions. I will try to finish this post before my service stops. It does every time it rains hard.

Melvalena, I think I would have given up if I had to go to a storage building. I'm too lazy and too far out in the country for that.
    I don't have a coat closet. I did switch to a regular bed from a waterbed when DH came home from the hospital after getting hurt last year. Under it is packed full of plastic bins already. Son, took the waterbed and already has the drawers full of his stuff. His closet is packed, DH's aunt's closet is full of her stuff. The 2 china cabinets, buffet, and washstand are all full. Can't even get to the washstand doors because it is in a nook behind the sofa and the whole 3-4' space between the sofa and the wall is packed almost to the top of the sofa back with bins and bags of the latest "finds".

Magpie, I LOVE the decorative boxes. I will add them to my shopping list. At least that will get all of my napkin rings,s/p shakers,placecard holders,etc,together. I bought bins after Christmas and tried to make an (on paper) list of what I put in each bin and numbered the bins accordingly. But, I'm out of space for bins. I have things on top of my kitchen cabinets now and I'm getting too old and unsteady to keep climbimg up and down to dust them. I have to stand in a chair and then step up on the counter to reach them (SCARY). So I don't think I will do the over the window shelves, even though it's a great idea for someone younger.

Yacht, I like the lift-top bench idea. There is a tiny space under the windows in the den/sunroom that DH could install a short one. No room for cedar chests. I will be measuring all closets to see if we could sneak an extra shelf in. Our MB closet top shelf is used for luggage,quilts,sheets,etc since we have no linen closet. I already use behind the door for the Halloween bins.

Jane, I saw the pics of your new hutch. LOVE it! I will be checking the unfinished furniture store. You can't buy the lumber to build one for the great price you got the hutch for!
    If I can EVER find other space for all the stuff behind my sofa, I could fit a short/shallow chest there and still have access to the buffet and washstand.

Lee, I love your name. Lee is a family name and just about all of the Gkids have it for their middle name.
    I love your trashcan idea with the extra security of the tarp and bungee cords. As soon as DH puts up the carport he just got moved from the old place and closes it in I may be sharing the little shed he is using now with DS. It has a leak somewhere, but if the trashcan is totally enclosed (and covered with the tarp), it may still work. When DH gets all of the junk out we may find the leak. LOL And I'm sure I can whine until he lets me share some of the space in his new "Garage"! I have one of those decorator tables on DH's side of the bed. I'll start putting stuff under there NOW!

Kathleen, There is one section in our kitchen that a cabinet will fit. Even though DH is a beginner carpenter, he has promised to build me a floor to ceiling cabinet for that space. I asked for it as a Christmas present so I can get it soon. I have the "I WANT IT NOW" problem too!
    If we can stop hitting deer we may have the extra $$s for lumber. I hit another one coming home from church last night. At least the radiator leaked slowly enough that I got home before it overheated. :o(

Karen, I may try the computer list, but y'all don't realize how computer challenged I still am! I'm doing a dance now because I finally managed to post a link this morning. YEA!!

Sorry this is so long. If you think of anything else, Please share.

Love to all,
    Betty

• hi2all
    14 years ago

Betty,

I don't have Lee for a surname, but my husband's grandmother was a Lee. I think it is a good name!

I thought of another thing or two for storage. I don't want you climbing up on the counters to get to storage in the kitchen, I am tall and still had to do that at our last house. The step from the chair to the counter kept getting taller each time I had to venture up there. lol Anyway, some cabinets don't reach all the way to the ceiling, and that soffit is dead space. It would be a lot of work, but that could be converted to storage for seasonal items.

Here is another one I have used -- a folding screen in a corner. It is decorative, and you can hide a world of goods behind it. I have two screens; one I ordered, one I bought at the church rummage sale. I am going to cover the church one when I find the right material. I've not made one from scratch, but was going to before I found the one at the rummage sale. There is almost no limit to what you can use, from shutters, bifold doors, old doors, plywood, etc. Put a chair or whatever in front of it, and it is a good decorator look.

Have you seen the storage ottomans where the lid comes off? They are a good double-duty piece of furniture. I use mine in place of a coffee table.

Girl, watch out for those deer. They are fast little critters, aren't they? I hope you are able to avoid them in the future.

Take care, Lee

• mo13
    14 years ago

Betty,
    Sorry to hear about you hitting a deer!! And you have gotten some great ideas. I have no new ideas for you - since I am totally disorganised and I have stuff everywhere - in the kitchen, in my sewing room, the garage and the linen closet. :) I enjoyed reading through other's innovative ideas.

Mo

• valleymagpie
    14 years ago

Betty,

Here's what I do with the little things in my decorative boxes. I generally use fleece, which I can buy pretty cheap at rummage sales in the form of throws and pullovers. After washing, I cut it in squares and rectangles to fit each item. I wrap the item in one end and then roll it up with the remaining fabric. Then I slip a rubber band around it and it's pretty well protected. Then I put each set into an appropriately-sized ziploc bag and label the bag (e.g., "chili pepper shakers"). then I just put the bags in the box. It sounds like it takes a long time, but it doesn't. Once you have the fleece cut (it doesn't ravel) it takes about 10 seconds to wrap up each item. You can generally fit lots of bags in a box and I don't worry about them getting broken. If they're just metal and I don't want them to get scratched, I may wrap them in old t-shirt material.

- Magpie

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Betty, I'm still computer challenged in some things..like using "Word" and making charts or graphs. I haven't a clue.
    I just make lists to myself in an EMAIL, then save it in folder I label personal information or mail to keep. LOL.
    Or just print out the list too and put it somewhere I think I won't lose it.

hugs, Karen

• plainjane425
    14 years ago

Wow Betty, lots of great advice here.
    I hope they have your 'wheels' churning.
    I know mine are.

It's really great to know you can come here, for all sorts of ideas and advice, and everyone is always so eager to help.

jane

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

Betty, I've gotten lots of good ideas from this post too--glad you asked?

I have a small house with an attached little storage area that is about half the size of the laundry room. DH installed nice sturdy shelves in there and it houses most of my seasonal items. I have other things all over the place, in linen closet, in laundry room cabinets, in bookcase,two buffet cabinets, under the guest room bed, etc. I have been slowly and surely reorganizing some of these spaces to be able to fit more in! I loved reading all the suggestions everyone gave--especially liked the one about "rolling" up the placemats. I had mine all stacked in a pile in the linen closet. Hard to get to the ones on the bottom and hard to keep neat. I think I will try making a roll out of all four or six of each kind and securing with a ribbon or rubberband maybe. Those should stack better, be easier to find, and take up less space! I'm also hoping to find another hutch or something to go in our eating area. I had thought about just a bookcase, but prefer to have stuff enclosed behind doors if possible. Keep the ideas coming ladies, they are all good ones. ;o)

Luvs

• dining_delight
    14 years ago

Wonderful ideas from everyone! It is terrific how we are all trying to support and enable Betty to be able to carry on despite her/our "dish-ease"! LOL! There wasn't one mention of "getting rid of stuff" or "to stop accumulating things" - Yeah, team! Love this forum!

I have my "pretties" in my china cabinet, various dresser drawers, closets, and the dish pantry DH made me and for the most part, I know where stuff is. The part I hate to admit is that just because the items are organized to start with doesn't mean they stay that way! I have to force myself to clean and re-organize on a regular basis so that it is a never-ending process. It doesn't help when I'm trying to add more things either!

DD

Sponsored
More Discussions