SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pauladd1963

PLEASE share experience with building a stock plan - Frank Betz

pauladd1963
9 years ago

Good Morning.

My husband and I have purchased a lot and are looking at house plans. I am hoping to get some help from this knowledgeable board. We are looking at a plan from Frank Betz. I k now this can be a debatable topic - using a stock plan versus hiring an architect. We are hoping not to put a from scratch plan with an architect into our budget - but will do that if necessary. The plan we are looking at would need some modifications - i.e., adding a third car garage stall, changing to 2x6, increasing ceiling height 8ft to 10 ft on first floor, changing the location of the fireplace, adding some square footage and reconfiguring the kitchen, laundry room a bit. I know Frank Betz Associates can do these mods - just looking for the best way to accomplish this - should we decide to purchase a stock plan.

If anyone could PLEASE share their experience with building/modifying a Betz design - I would greatly appreciate it.

Would it be recommended to buy the plan on CAD and have the mods done locally? Have Betz make some of the changes - still buy the CAD in case we want to make refining changes? My husband is a engineer - P.E., and has friends/resources that are structural/civil engineers. They have already reviewed our site - topography, and would be willing to help with reviewing placement and structural design. Our daughters best friend is an architect - he is currently working on the commercial end - but has offered to help with mods.

Any advice and experience with buying stock plans and modifying - especially Betz plans (an idea on pricing for this through Betz)- would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help and sharing your opinions and knowledge.

Sincerely,
Paula

Comments (12)