SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bj_inatlanta

Bigger downpayment or bigger loan

bj_inatlanta
16 years ago

Our construction cost will probably be 450K. We have 250K cash to put into it. We own the land outright. We'll get a construction-to-perm mortgage at about 6.3% with a no-prepayment penalty clause. We pay interest-only during the build on the cumulative total of our draws. If I understand this correctly, at the construction loan closing, we will hand over a check for 250K.

Now I'm wondering, being ever cautious (even good builders do occasionally go bankrupt!) if we should get a bigger bank loan and thus let the bank take more of the risk during construction? It would mean we'd have bigger payments, since the interest would be more. But we're getting 5% on our savings and expect that not to drop substantially during the build, or for mortgages to go up much before we lock ours in. So, the differential between what we could earn on our savings and what we'll pay on a bigger loan is not that great. After the conversion from construction to permanent loan, we can make a prepayment to reduce the loan balance and monthly payments.

We can qualify for a bigger loan, but probably not more than 300K. Any thoughts here and do I have this right?

Comments (17)