SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldalgebra

Encouraging My Little Protégés

oldalgebra
13 years ago

This morning I had my three grandchildren (6,7, and 8) over to bake a cake for their mother's birthday. While it was cooling, I suggested we set the patio table, as their aunt and uncle would be coming for lunch to join in the celebration. "First, you'll have to pick out some place mats," I said. I took them over to the cabinet and opened the doors.

Now, I own just about every conceivable color of place mat you could want.

Honestly, it is a collection to be admired by the most ardent tablescaping aficionado.

I mean look at this! It's Place Mat Heaven in there.

Well, they start pulling the layers out, and three minutes into it one of them asks,

"Grandma, where are your birthday place mats? You don't have any birthday ones."

Hmmmm. OK. I'll admit, I don't have birthday specific ones, but . . . .

"We could use the pink ones and draw polka dots on them," suggested Miss Goosebumps.

"No. No, I don't think that would be such a good idea."

"But wait. I've got paper!"

So here's the result. They designed, picked out and arranged everything. They worked like busy little bees.

Gracie wanted to make "those name tags" and Miss Goosebumps suggested making ones for the dog and cat.

Today's lesson included:

1. The host and hostess (the man and woman who give the party) usually sit at either end of the table.

2. The sharp part of the knife is turned toward the plate.

3. The name tags are called place cards.

4. The pretty things in the middle of the table make up what's called the centerpiece.

Next time we'll work on napkin placement.

OK. I'm done bragging.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County
More Discussions